Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Tricompax: How Many References Are There?

1. bsmitra Apr 11, 2016

I tried looking up this website to know if there were any ready data for various Tricompax references so that I donot post a superfluous/duplicitous thread. However as there were none, I am posting one and seeking your indulgence.

Would it be possible to know which all are the various references of Tricompax models and its caliber so that someone collecting Tricompax can try and get all the references?

Would appreciate helpful guidance from forum.
    Thanks

2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 11, 2016

A lot. Best answer I can give you. There are about 60 - 65 in the Sala book alone. Who knows how many there really are? You'd have more luck catching all of the pokemon

3. bsmitra Apr 11, 2016

60-65??? You mean so many references of Tricompax were made? Now, that not only makes collection almost impossib;e (!!!), that also beats me to understand what all may have been the differences among various Tricompaxes?

I can understand it would be hell of a task for anyone to try and put some understanding in my head. So, would there be any book which can give me some idea?

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 11, 2016

5. littlesheep81 Apr 11, 2016

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 11, 2016

The problem (or wonderful-ness) of earlier UG is that they often paired different dials with different cases - so there are hundreds or even maybe thousands of combinations. Dozens of case types plus even more dial types makes for a difference Tri-compax on the wrist every day!

Northernman and littlesheep81 like this.
  7. bsmitra Apr 13, 2016

Did the Tricompax have plastic glasses (sorry for oxymoronic phrase, for want of a better description!)

Also, my watchmaker says that as the Tricompax has the plastic fitted to gold rim, whenever one takes out a gold rim watch fitted with plastic, one normally 'pastes' the plastic again. Is it the correct practice?

Thanks

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 13, 2016

I don't know if this holds true for all Tricompax models as you can see there have been many through the ages, but the vast majority of vintage watches -- including high end ones-- were made with "acrylic crystals".
    That!'s the more noble, and non oxymoronic term used to refer to "plastic glass", but it means exactly the same thing.

bsmitra likes this.
  9. DManzaluni Apr 13, 2016

I am at this moment engaged in a heated discussion with Universal about movement retaining rings in mid-1940s 287s. They don't recognise that the circular part actually went with the watch and say they didnt use them and showed me a 481 which doesnt have one. Lots of 287s didn't seem to have a movement retaining ring, (especially 18ct ones).

I countered with a photo of a 287 with a ring AND with a break in the case (where the pusher is) which is exactly the position where there is a break in my own case! See http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Unive...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Does anyone know what the story was with those rings please? Why were they put in? Didnt some 287s fit in some (early) cases without them? Did the ring design contribute to this case-breakage? Is this particular breakage commonly seen in Tri-Compaxes?

10. bsmitra Apr 15, 2016

My original poser remains unanswered : " Is it correct that in any gold rim watch fitted with acrylic crystal, if one takes out the gold ring with the crystal, then one normally has to paste the crystal again as the gold rim is thin. Is it the correct practice?"

As for retaining ring, I have absolutely no idea. One I am wearing now doesnt have it. Will check the other.
    Thanks

11. DManzaluni Apr 15, 2016

Thanks for checking on your movement for a retaining ring but if you really had glue in mind when posting it may well have been better heading the post with the question about crystals rather than putting Universal Geneve Tricompax: How Many References Are There?
    which sorta opens the posting up to questions about the references such as how many of the refs used things like retaining rings.

As to your question, surely the answer is that given some tendency to contract on the part of some acrylics, the original may not have been glued but after fifty years, who cares what the original specs were?

12. bsmitra Apr 15, 2016

This post was about Universal Tricompax references, I was.getting confused with so many different references of Tricompax. And when it was answered with inputs about Sala's books, I asked, as an obiter dicta, regarding the acryoic crystal because my watchmaker just pasted one and I thought he had mishandled it.

it wasnt about retaining rings.

Because you asked about retaining rings, I replied. I didnt have glue in mind while posting this thread. That came subsequently when I took possession of my watch and I thought it too general and insignificant to open a new thread.

13. littlesheep81 Apr 15, 2016

"obiter dicta" - I sense a lawyer here!

bsmitra likes this.
  14. bsmitra Apr 15, 2016

Haha nono, just a watch aficionado (not a nerd or freak as yet, like you guys). Trying to learn, but it is a huge topic and very costly!!

15. littlesheep81 Apr 15, 2016

I'm also a newbie... and also spending ridiculous amounts of money in "learning"....

16. bsmitra Apr 15, 2016

It would be interesting (and maybe distressing!!) to know how many had some temporary marital discord crop up owing primarily to disproportionate allocation of resources towards this hobby in the initial stages of the onset of this pleasant Horophilic disease.

However I think this may be a subject of a new post, with suggestions to newbies on how to go about it.

17. DManzaluni Apr 16, 2016

So, - getting a bit closer to the ratio, - does anyone with Sala have any idea about which references had rings and why please?

18. bsmitra Apr 16, 2016

Since legal term has been continued, I guess 'res' may be more apt than 'ratio'. ;-)

Others may chip in with their expertise.