Forums Latest Members

SOLD Universal Geneve Polerouter, Stainless Steel, Cal. 215, 1950’s: $435 Shipped

1. Severin Jan 16, 2017

Up for sale is a stainless steel Universal Genève Polerouter with a Caliber 215 movement - yours for $435. USD, shipped. Payment through PayPal, please (I will cover the PayPal fees).

I reckon this particular watch might suit someone in the nascent stages of their UG journey, someone considering dipping their toes, someone looking for parts, or perhaps someone with a liberal sense of Wabi-Sabi. The watch will ship from Toronto, Canada via FedEx. I am selling to refocus and clear up some psychic space.

The watch measures approximately 35mm excluding the crown, approximately 38mm including the crown, and 44mm lug-to-lug. Lug width is approximately 19mm, giving the piece a slightly “chunkier” feel (kind of like the 138 caliber cases) compared to other 215’s with an 18mm lug width. This gives it a decent wrist presence, which you will see from the wrist shots below on my 7.5” wrist.

The serial number on this piece is located on the case-side between the top lugs and is in the low-to-mid 1.8s, perhaps placing it somewhere in the 1956-1957 timeframe. The serial and reference numbers remain legible. The expression “Patented Rights Pending” is engraved under the rotor - this message was removed in subsequent Caliber 215s once the patent was obtained. The rotor shows some rash. I have not opened the case – the movement photos are taken from the previous seller.

The watch works, but runs fast and will require a service: I haven’t measured it in any detail, but my estimate is that it gains between about 5-to-10 minutes per day.

Caseback engraving remains pretty clear, but please note that the case, caseback and lugs have been polished. The lugs are relatively buttery, but facets are still evident. The watch contains a variety nicks, scratches and service marks on the case, caseback and around the lugs. Crown is original, to my knowledge. I assume the crystal is a replacement. The crystal is fairly free of scratches as far as I can tell, but there may be some that I cannot detect with the naked eye.

The hands are pitted and the dial is aged and replete with markings. Note, for instance, the short scratch near the shield at 12:02, the longer diagonal marks pointing towards 7:34 and the other markings on the dial which follow and almost orbital pattern, perhaps from a prior “cleaning”. The dial is an off-white colour; it can appear more silvery in the right light.

I have never sold a watch before, so do not have any references as a seller to show you. I have purchased three watches on this Forum, however, and each of those transactions went well. For example, please see the reference at the following link: https://omegaforums.net/threads/severin-top-notch.39979/. I will also be happy to provide the names of two other sellers on this Forum from whom I have purchased watches and who can vouch for me. I have made more purchases on eBay and have a 100% buyer’s rating, which I would gladly demonstrate to you.

Please don’t be shy about getting in touch through PM on this Forum with any questions you might have. The photos above are a large part of the description – returns will be accepted only if the watch is materially not as described. The buyer will have an inspection period of 3 days. Otherwise, the sale will be final. The watch will come to you with the used 18mm strap shown in all non-movement photos above (I don’t happen to have a spare 19mm strap on hand).

Thank you for reading and thank you, ΩF, for the opportunity.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG 17.JPG 18.JPG 19.JPG 20.JPG 21.JPG 22.JPG 23.jpg 24.JPG 25.JPG 26.JPG

dougiedude, Alpha, Rman and 7 others like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2017

@Severin, you're wasting your time.

Seriously, you could just have written "Polerouter from the fifties, could do with a service. $435" and it would have been sold anyway.

watch3s, dantaspaulo, aap and 3 others like this.
  3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 16, 2017

Seriously at this price I'm kicking myself for my last 3 cheap watch purchases ::rant:

Severin likes this.
  4. Rman Jan 16, 2017

NOOBS, stop looking at junk and heareth the call of a great opportunity!

5. Severin Jan 16, 2017

Sold to a Forum member. Thank you, buyer, thanks to all of you for looking and your kind comments, and thank you
    ΩF for the opportunity!

aap, Jwit and Lonestar like this.
  6. rbob99 Jan 16, 2017

Somebody got a great deal. Congratulations to both seller and buyer.

Severin likes this.
  7. micampe Jan 16, 2017

Oh man I need to check the sales forum more often.

Severin and Jwit like this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 16, 2017

Geez, at that price, I'm surprised anyone even had time to respond to the thread before it was sold!!

aap and Severin like this.
  9. Jonatan Jan 17, 2017

WTF how did I miss this? New job and new life, is starting to affect my watch collecting... I call a general dibs on your other Polerouters and any Universal Geneve you may have please.

Severin and Jwit like this.
  10. Jonatan Jan 17, 2017

Now that we are both in Canada, I will save you money on shipping!! ;);););)

Severin likes this.