Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Microtor Solid 18k from local shop

1. Adbraz Jan 1, 2019

Hello

I came across this piece in a tiny small shop local. what do you think?
    Ive never seen this one before

5a.png 3a.png 2a.png 1a.png
    valjoux72 and SuperHero like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2019

A lot of watches like above that are rarely seen until someone posts one.
    Looks like one of the hundreds of gold dress watches produced in the early 80s

Looks OK just too modern for anyone but a hard core UG collector to know much about.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Mazoue Jan 2, 2019

Based on the logo and the fact that it says 'microtor' on the dial, it is much more likely to be a late 1950's Cal 215.

I think I can just about make out a '1861xxx' serial number from your first photo, which would back that up.

I've seen those hour markers before somewhere, I just can't remember where. Looks great to me.

Jonatan, jumpingsecond and gop76 like this.
  4. Adbraz Jan 2, 2019

The wristband matches so much the watch but has no "U" logo is there other way to find out if its original wristband?

5. ConElPueblo Jan 2, 2019

It is a generic bracelet, cut to size at the point of sale to fit the buyer of the watch typically. Could also have been added later.

6. gop76 Jan 2, 2019

Like @Mazoue, i think it's a 50's watch (apart from the serial he mentions, the ref nomenclature looks consistent with that period) with cal. 215 inside. The crown doesn't look original to the watch but some sort of customization perhaps made by the retailer (these things happened at the time). The bracelet doesn't look UG original.
    A nice watch

jsflog, jumpingsecond and Larry S like this.
  7. Jonatan Jan 17, 2019

Serial number looks like 1861892 (to my eyes) which dates it to the late 1950s. This would also match the funky markers. A very attractive watch to my eyes.