Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve compax Ref.22499

1. Amer Oct 2, 2015

Hi to All
    after buying this Beautiful Universal finally I get the case back open and I made some shots please take a look and is normal that inside the watch the movement have a Dust cover? the movement number is 261910 cal.285. thanks for replay and Happy weekend to All.
    Best
    Amer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

face33 likes this.
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 2, 2015

Fabulous!

Congratulations...:thumbsup:

3. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Oct 2, 2015

These waterproof cases certainly look like that space was made for the use of dust covers, but at least from my own experience, I haven't seen one used. Your picture indicates that the dust cover is causing damage to the inner caseback, so I would lean towards the fact that it is not a correct part.

However this watch came to be, I am certain it will look stunning on your wrist. Let us know if you succeed in finding all of the correct parts (minute/hour/sub-second hands, crown/pushers) or even a period correct dial!

p.s. would you mind sharing with us where you got that strap? The stitching is done very well.

4. Amer Oct 2, 2015

Hi Jordn
    thanks for your Replay regarding thr dust cover hier a smillar watch to mine with the same Dust cover and Look to the hands hands see photos.
    I found the strap on Ebay is wonderfull.
    Best
    Amer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Amer Oct 2, 2015

first step I found a original UG Crown........

6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Oct 2, 2015

I take your point about the dust cover. I am in the dark about that particular matter so I have nothing I can add to that. All of the hands except for the hour register hand in this second example are correct and aren't the same as the ones found on your watch - the hour and minute hands in particular (note the difference in shape and length). I am nitpicking, but UG was consistent in the kind of parts they used though not necessarily in the combination of those parts. I wouldn't worry about the sub-register hands too much since they are replaced so often and you can get a good watchmaker to cut them to the right specs if you so desire. It's interesting to see that the pushers on this other example are identical to yours... I'm accustomed to seeing the fatter, round pushers (I thought they had different tube sizes ::confused2::), but I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.

Wow those unsigned, original crowns are unobtanium! nice!

Edited Oct 2, 2015
    PHPHD likes this.
  7. bubawatch Oct 7, 2015

Good morning.
    This is an original dial the mid '50s.
    The watch is the mid '40s, for the US market (HOX), completely original except the crown.
    Best regards
    A.

8. Amer Oct 7, 2015

Hi
    and thanks for Replay ,finally I get a Original Crown for this watch and thanks for the Infos about the Dial that is Original,here some new photos with the original crown.
    Best
    Amer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aap likes this.
  9. bubawatch Oct 7, 2015

Very good!
    The diameter of the crown should be approximately 6.7 mm.
    Ciao
    A.

10. Amer Oct 7, 2015

yes is approximately 6,7mm.
    Ciao
    Amer

11. donkii Oct 8, 2015

This may seem a little negative but I hope you doesn't take it the wrong way..
    Not that I'm an expert but the dial doesn't look authentic. The subdials seems to be to small compared to the other 22499 Iv'e seen. I don't think that I've seen any dial with the raised indexes on a compax of this model. Does these come with a none lume dial? The colors on the tachyscale makes me think that this is some sort of redial but I hope I'm wrong. The condition of the dial look a little to good to be true actually.

I haven't seen these hands on a UG before either.. I'll see if I can find some reference material.

Sorry for the negativity. Would be a great catch if it's authentic.

12. Amer Oct 8, 2015

Hi
    nobody is sure if this is authentic or put together but look here is this also redial or fake UG?
    [​IMG]

13. donkii Oct 8, 2015

Where does this picture come from?
    I'll admit that both dials is crisp and if it's a redial it's a good one. The thing with these UG's is that it's little info out there so it could be an original one, hard to say. I've followed your ad's before and I know that you do your homework so it wasn't easy to write what I did up there.. However, if there is a chance to wave a flag to save a "friend" from a redial I'll wave flags all day, hope you understand.

14. Amer Oct 8, 2015

of course I will do the same thing if something noted wrong .

15. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Oct 8, 2015

Diabolik and donkii like this.
  16. woodwkr2 Oct 8, 2015

As has been demonstrated, the dust cover is an essential part for some of the waterproof case designs. Without it, the dial and movement have too much play in the case and can torque with winding and setting.

The more modern designs from the 60s omit the dust cover but still require a retaining ring for proper casement.

jordn likes this.
  17. Diabolik Dec 3, 2015

I was offered this tri compax by a member but don't like the look of it. Dial is very similar style to the compax dial shown on this post.

Owner is from Swiss eland and speaks little English. So far no response to questions...

Just wondering if a hoard of ug dials have been found !

Thoughts ?

IMG_4391.jpg

18. Amer Dec 3, 2015

Hi
    yes this look similar to mine,but a lot of members here don`t trust the Lookabout pushers and Hands .
    Best
    Amer
    DSC_7753.JPG

19. Amer Dec 3, 2015

20. Diabolik Dec 4, 2015

They are both put together (not original). 40's cases and 50's parts. In terms of value, as other forums state, probably the sum of the value of all of the parts as they bear no resemblance to what the originals would have looked like.

They are nice, but in one word, I would class them as a custom jobs even though most of the parts are ug parts. It is a bit like an autavia, First exec with a dial, hands and crown that are from other autavia models. Value must reflect originality of the whole, the fact that all the parts are UG does not make it original !

That is why sala's book is so important ... ::book::

Edited Dec 4, 2015