Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve compax Ref.22499

1. Amer Sep 28, 2015

Hi All
    I`m new here and I go to purchase this Universal Geneve compax Ref. 22499 with Original Gay Freres Bracelet but I don`t have any Idea if all is correct and the unique watch that I found on the web with the same ref. is sold by Christies please Takle a look and thanks for All Helps.
    All the Best
    Amer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. papaebetu Sep 28, 2015

::facepalm1::

GIGI

3. Amer Sep 28, 2015

GIGI and.............what say something!!!!!!!

ELV web and lwong like this.
  4. ELV web Sep 28, 2015

I think Gigi could have been surprised with such high price realised on Christies. I can't comment on the bracelet as I am never really a bracelet guy but the case looks fine and still has the edges and shape in tact. The dial looks very good to me and because of that there is something that is whisperin to me that it could also be a very good old redial but you will need a second opinion on the forum from @jordn or LouS or Modest Proposal etc. for a better final assessment. It looks like a very good purchase to me if the dial checks out.

Cheers,
    Eric

5. lwong Sep 28, 2015

Sorry to be off topic, but am quite tickled by gigi's reply and your response to it.

6. ELV web Sep 28, 2015

+1

7. Amer Sep 28, 2015

I know gigi from Heuer Forum.....

lwong and ELV web like this.
  8. Amer Sep 28, 2015

can you please look at the details on hour sub the 2 and 3 are printed stronger is this a indication that the Dial is reprinted?I search on google how indentify a redone Dial and the small details are a indication and here present on this watch only the 2 and 3 on the hours sub are different !!!!!!!!!!

9. ELV web Sep 28, 2015

That subtle thickness doesn't strike my attention as redial. Also the curl in the subdials really makes it look original. What gets me a bit wary is the red blue tachymeter/telemeter. But again, I think it is better you seek the opinion of the aforementioned experts :)

Diabolik likes this.
  10. Amer Sep 28, 2015

thanks Eric

11. J-Luc Sep 28, 2015

my Compax ref.22499 case 9850xx)
    big size 38mm with movement cal.285

[​IMG]

jumpingsecond, rolokr and guillaume like this.
  12. Amer Sep 28, 2015

Here a similar UG with the same tachy/telemeter configuration
    [​IMG]

13. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 28, 2015

A very handsome example but it is undoubtedly a franken watch. Preface: As had been said numerous times before, evaluating UG watches can be part conjecture and part detective work because we are not privy to an exact chronology and we are purely dependent on empirical data. The dial is a genuine, un-refinished UG part, but this type of dial with blue and red tachymetre/telemetre was not used until the late 40's ('48 being the earliest example I know of) and was most often used in the early to mid 50's compaxes and tri-compaxes; the serial number dates the OP's watch to 1945. Are we splitting hairs? Perhaps, but look at the condition of case compared to the dial. The case is in good, largely unpolished condition, but it also looks like it has been well worn. We call these cases 'waterproof', but they weren't all that hermetically sealed, as evidenced by the condition these dials typically are in. This dial looks to be NOS therefore leading me to believe that it is a replacement - a period incorrect one at that. A lot of dealers who have access to NOS UG parts are doing this these days.

Some of the other parts are fishy as well: I have never seen this type of leaf hands used in any UG watches and the crown and pushers, while they may be genuine UG parts, don't look correct to this case reference (may need pictures of crown side to verify that). Regarding the bracelet, it is most obviously not original to watch seeing how it is dated 3/52 (or 62?) and these watches always came with straps.

Having said all of this, it is still a great looking watch!

Edited Sep 28, 2015
    rolokr, Diabolik, papaebetu and 2 others like this.
  14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 28, 2015

I agree with jordn, who laid things out very thoughtfully.

When examining a watch, there is a rule of thumb that you can use to ascertain originality without needing to know anything about a brand: Check to see if the parts share the same level of wear or aging. In this case, the dial appears to be NOS. This could only be original if the entire watch was NOS, which it does not seem to be. Also, the dial seems to likely be from the 1950's onward, while the case is an earlier reference. A movement shot would be nice.

The subdial hands seem to be too short for the subdials. I've never seen those leaf and before - but I wouldn't discount them immediately.

Jordn was also right in saying that it looks like a sharp piece and if the price is right, it'd be a great one to wear.

Diabolik and nicolas07 like this.
  15. Amer Sep 28, 2015

ok thanks Guys for help I will try to buy the watch for a good price perhaps I will find a spare Dial and hands .

Diabolik and papaebetu like this.
  16. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 28, 2015

I wouldn't count on finding those. :p :)

17. Amer Sep 28, 2015

in Switzerland is everything about finding watches and parts is possible;);)

rolokr and papaebetu like this.
  18. Diabolik Sep 29, 2015

That does not look like a redial. If it is, i would like to know who does such high quality redials. However, hands (all) and pushers are wrong. In my eyes, it looks like someone has found a NOS dial and replaced the faded one on the watch. Mind you, I am usually wrong ::psy::
    UG COMPAX DIAL.jpg !

Fer Seamaster likes this.
  19. Amer Sep 29, 2015

Hi
    I already bought the watch and the seller give me a very good price for it ,I like it and for daily wear is fantastic,I change the ugly GF Bracelet with a Brown french leather Bracelet ,seems better with leather although if are a Heuer will be a big appeal with a GF..... now founding a original crown will be not a Big problem and I will left the watch as is.some movement shot will follow....
    Amer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ELV web, Gavin and PHPHD like this.
  20. Fer Seamaster Sep 29, 2015

Totally agree!