Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Compax - help needed at establishing production year etc.

1. watchalookingat Apr 15, 2017

Hi all,

I stumbled upon a Universal Geneve Compax (34.5 mm) from the 1950's - I was told. But I can't seem to find any similar models and I'm a bit curious as to whether the hands are original or not. What do you think?

It seems to be in a good condition and keeps time within +|- 5 minutes per day.

The price is 2050 € which seems reasonable compared to other UG I've found online, but I haven't been able to find the exact same model online in order to make a better comparison.

If someone out there has thought on my potential purchase I would really appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have more information, so I apologize in advance for not supplying more in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0211.jpg
    firstrubu likes this.
  2. firstrubu Apr 15, 2017

Do you have a picture of the back with the case reference? That may be of help a lot.

3. watchalookingat Apr 15, 2017

At the moment I don't, but I'm trying to get the seller to email me a picture of it.

4. watchalookingat Apr 15, 2017

Do you think the 1950's is the correct decade?

5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 15, 2017

Welcome to the forum,

It is integral that you get pictures of the caseback markings - outside and in - and a movement shot, but there are a few things we can determine in the mean time. This type of dial was used since the genesis of the Compax line in the 30's and all throughout the 40's, but I do not believe that this watch can be from the 50's. Having said that, we have observed the late 40's and early 50's to be a transitional period for the types of dials used by Universal Geneve, so this watch could ostensibly be from this period, albeit unlikely. This is why it is important to get the serial number of this watch in order to get the full picture.

Speaking more specifically about the watch in question, it appears to be in an all-original, all-correct condition. The dial is in poor to fair condition and the case has lost some definition due to polishing. I could see this dial being more attractive in the metal, but if I could make a recommendation, I would hold out for one in a better overall condition even if you have to pay a little more. The dial tells us more than just the aesthetics of the watch. It shows us that the watch was exposed to a fair amount of moisture which can detrimental to the movement as well, and that could mean additional service costs. If you want to pursue this one, I would try to get the price down given its condition.

Good luck

ELV web, Dre, TNTwatch and 1 other person like this.
  6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 15, 2017

hope you meant seconds

7. watchalookingat Apr 15, 2017

Thank you for your thorough answer. You've made some good points. I will try and get some more information as per your suggestion.

8. Oku Apr 15, 2017

As long as service history is unknown, I would always recommend a service or letting a good watchmaker check it out. Otherwise, if service was long ago, using the watch can cause damages.

watchalookingat likes this.
  9. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 15, 2017

I meant that the OP could face additional costs on top of normal servicing fees - replacement parts, fabrication, etc. Time and difficulty in finding a suitable and capable watchmaker is another form of opportunity cost as well

10. Oku Apr 15, 2017

That's right. I didn't want to correct you. My intention was to point out that a service should not be neglected. Many people think that if a watch runs well a service is not needed. This holds for modern movements like a 7750 but I wouldn't risk it for our little babies that we love so much.
    I think this is important to tell people who are new to watches.

Larry S, watchalookingat and jordn like this.
  11. watchalookingat Apr 16, 2017

With the points you have made I think I'll refrain from buying the watch even if I were to get a considerable discount. It's just too risky and I won't be able to have a watchmaker look at it. Thank you all for your comments.

12. watchalookingat Apr 16, 2017

So I received some pictures of the case back and the movement - what are your thoughts?

UG1.JPG UG2.JPG
  13. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 16, 2017

Serial number (829585) dates this watch to 1941

14. watchalookingat Apr 16, 2017

Thanks. What are your thoughts on the movement?

15. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 16, 2017

Some oxidation is visible on the minute runner (uppermost wheel in the pic), but no other problems are evident to my eyes. The movement would need to be examined by a watchmaker to diagnose any other potential issues.
    If this is the case, there's no need to proceed any further, but if you are planning to get into vintage watches, you need to develop a relationship with a good watchmaker.

watchalookingat, Oku and Larry S like this.