Forums Latest Members
  1. Candycane2121 Jan 12, 2014

Okay everyone I'm new at this whole forum thing so excuse me if I do something wrong. I need your guys expertise. At a thrift store in bag of jewelry for $.99 was this watch, it was the whole reason why I bought the bag. I took it to a reputable watch repair and they said that it was authentic. Although what bothers me is they were pretty astounded by what I paid for the watch and they seemed extremely interested in it they offered me $150 for the watch. They said it would cost anywhere from $400-$600 to repair and that wasn't worth it because if I was thinking about selling it I could only get about $500- $700. It made me curious by the way they were acting so I decided to do some research for myself. as I researched I noticed that these are pretty desirable. The watch could use a little polishing and TLC but overall I would say it's a little below average condition. it is missing the caps on the dials on the side and The secondhand gets stuck on 57 seconds. If you tap on the side of the watch the second hand will start to revolve but then it will stop at 57 seconds again. It does keep perfect time though. The watchband is also not original. Can anyone tell me what this watch is worth and if it's worth fixing or selling it like it is.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 12, 2014

You've got good instincts. That's a watch that prices out in the thousands, not the hundreds, even in its current condition. The repair should not be difficult (and the price quoted for the repair is almost about right), but you should find a watchmaker that knows enough not do any careless substitutions, and to do absolutely nothing - especially no cosmetic nonsense - besides service the movement. Any deviation from authenticity will lower value.

If you are looking simply to turn a profit, I wouldn't even bother to repair it. Just sell it to a collector. You might get less than you otherwise would, but you've still made a very tidy profit.

3. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2014

Nice find. :thumbsup: If you're looking to sell, you'll find a few buyers here.