Universal Genève A. Cairelli Timer

I recently acquired this Universal Genève timer. I bought it on a whim, mainly for the lovely dial. Here it is with the crystal removed;

28C20EBF-AE87-4DAD-BEB7-93F7625FF026.jpeg

This stopwatch was manufactured by UG and distributed by Antonio Cairelli to the Italian military in the 1940s. The Bakelite case measures 87mm without crown and contains a scruffy example of the wonderful calibre 295;

1C6BB5A6-C103-4FE7-B20D-1857E2056FCF.jpeg

Since I bought the stopwatch I have been researching precisely whereabouts in the Italian armed forces it was used. It was labelled a “diver’s timer” when I purchased it but I’m sceptical about that. I read that Panerai essentially held a monopoly over the issuance of Italian Navy technical diving instruments for at least the first half of the twentieth century. It seems unlikely that Cairelli would encroach on Panerai’s established distribution turf with this particular instrument, especially given that it offers such limited water and pressure resistance.

C7D0FADA-6045-4077-AA8C-E8092306AD7C.jpeg

However, as is well documented, A. Cairelli were most definitely suppliers to the Italian Air Force during the same period. This timer certainly closely resembles the UG military aircraft instruments and dashboard chronographs and Cairelli bomb timers I’ve seen posted on this forum and elsewhere on the internet (see https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-universal-squirrel-bites-hard.9853/ ). The styling and materials are certainly familiar and the large Arabic numbers on the dial suggest it was meant to be read from a distance. However, my case lacks the embedded screw brackets I’ve seen on so many other dashboard-mounted timers and, in hand, feels surprisingly basic for a piece of aeronautical flight equipment. I understand that the ‘2-481’ faintly printed in the middle of the dial is a unique issuance number denoting the class of aircraft into which this part was installed but so far I’ve been unable to discover which one. I’d love to know which specific plane this was; answers on a postcard, please.

0E8CB642-6903-4FFD-9BBB-25E010B6D36E.jpeg

This example has a single crown for both winding and operating the stopwatch, consistent with the ornately-cased cal 295 civilian personal timers from the period others have posted on this forum (see https://omegaforums.net/threads/anyone-familiar-with-ug-timers.52541/). Its case has two small cross-bars attached, and conveniently sits very securely in the palm. The case back itself is scratched and scuffed, suggesting that the timer has been loose for a long time and perhaps even enjoyed a second life as a portable stopwatch on earth.

8E69CD20-BFA0-4E86-9AF5-90094A149699.jpeg

In common with other manufacturers of the era, it is striking to see the military design aesthetic of Universal Genève in the 40s echoed in some sublime retail products from the mid 50s and beyond. Here we see the rogue “diver’s timer” alongside a later confirmed diver’s wrist watch. One can see how maybe they belong together after all.

2B57A51D-C618-4184-9451-2E6E10E2EE52.jpeg

Phenomenal timer. Love the history of the A. Cairelli watches. A lot of really interesting and unique or exceedingly rare pieces came out of orders between A. Cairelli and a few companies, one of my all-time favorite watches being the Universal Rattrapante Marina Militare. I'd buy one like yours myself just to imagine it was the rattrapante.

Beautiful clock! Thanks for posting, and congratulations.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend posting in on the (main) Italian vintage watch forum, as members there would almost certainly have some useful input:

http://orologi.forumfree.net/?f=1361056

Beautiful clock! Thanks for posting, and congratulations.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend posting in on the (main) Italian vintage watch forum, as members there would almost certainly have some useful input:

http://orologi.forumfree.net/?f=1361056

Thank you, Tony. I am a serial lurker there and this seems like as good an opportunity as any to come out of hiding. I’ll see what the oracles over there have to say.

Another good place to post would probably be the Military Watch Ressource forum.

Might be an auto racing timer for rally work.

Awesome find!! Ive always wanted to add a Cairelli timer to my collection, yours is a beauty!
Dibs as it may have been mounted in the same cockpit as my watch 😀

I understand that the ‘2-481’ faintly printed in the middle of the dial is a unique issuance number denoting the class of aircraft into which this part was installed but so far I’ve been unable to discover which one. I’d love to know which specific plane this was; answers on a postcard, please.

Astonishingly, nearly two years later a postcard of sorts has arrived. Credit is due to this eBay listing for the lead.

Here is a timer similar to mine (at the top of this thread) attached to both yokes in a Piaggio P.108. I’d wager that this instrument wasn’t exclusive to this aircraft model but it’s still pretty cool to see it in any cockpit!
0C108C74-31D7-4F07-A0FE-7BF61812D2BB.jpeg
1BFB01A2-1F4A-4F2C-BD49-2EFE5543BB9B.jpegThe Piaggio P.108 Bombardiere was an Italian four-engine heavy bomber that saw service with the Regia Aeronautica during World War II. It flew between 1942 and 1945. The plane was said to be one of a handful of Italian combat aircraft that could match the best manufactured by the Allies at the time. It makes sense that UG instruments were selected for her flight instruments since, as we all know, UG is also the best. 😉

709E2713-2154-4224-A376-86133BF4EEB9.jpeg

All photographs are from the original manufacturer’s manual and can be found here.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.