Forums Latest Members

SOLD United States Marine Corp's Omega Speedmaster Professional ref 145012-67 - BILL STEINBERG PILOT USM

1. The Master of Speed Oct 31, 2014

United States Marine Corp's Omega Speedmaster Professional

ref 145012-67 - cal 321 - sn 25.00x.xxx

"BILL STEINBERG
    PILOT USMC"

Bill Steinberg was an RF-4 pilot in ”Playboy” VMCJ-2 from Wisconsin.Watch full of vintage taste, charm and history.

Serviced is September 2014.

[email protected]

Request 4500€

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i20rider and Mothra like this.
  2. The Master of Speed Oct 31, 2014

Edited Mar 4, 2022
  3. The Master of Speed Nov 2, 2014

on hold

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Nov 2, 2014

off topic but a lot of people hate the looks of the F4 but to me it's one of the best looking airplanes ever made. And they made a VERY distinct sound, too, you always knew what they were before you actually saw them. Two engines with variable exhaust nozzles (turkey feathers) were unmistakable. We had tons of 'em around here while I was growing up.

NGO1 and DLT222 like this.
  5. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Nov 2, 2014

Off topic the plane in the actual photographs is an EA6. Not pretty but pretty capable. One of the few navy aircraft where the pilot was not in command of the flight.

6. The Master of Speed Nov 2, 2014

:thumbsup: If you have additional information ::popcorn::

7. timeismoney Nov 2, 2014

::popcorn::

8. pitpro Likes the game. Nov 2, 2014

+1+1
    Unbelievable sound the F4 Phantom had.
    Raw ripping power.
    If you've ever heard one with the afterburners on, you'll never forget it.
    The Tomcat had a pretty badass sound too, but not like the F4

blackwatch likes this.
  9. pitpro Likes the game. Nov 2, 2014

Hell of a warrior in all it's permutations

blackwatch likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 3, 2014

Right on there. As a young 17 year old we were anchored of Vung Tau and the F4s took great delight in buzzing our ship on the way back from doing their stuff, usually late afternoon. Seeing (and hearing and FEELING) three of them overhead at about 200 feet made the hairs stand up all over your body.

NGO1, MikiJ and blackwatch like this.
  11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 3, 2014

Truly a life saving thrill hunkering down when these came in and dropped nape-bomb to keep you from getting over run. They would come in so low and fast that they would bend the tree tops in the jungle. The nape-bomb sucked-up all the oxygen making it difficult to breath. "All the Way"!

12. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Nov 3, 2014

Sorry to say I don't have much other first hand knowledge. When I was in high school (and planned on a career as a Navy pilot) one of my best friend's dad, a retired Captain, had been CO of an F4 squadron during Viet Nam (squadron name long forgotten) so most of my what I know was second hand and I'm sorry to say now forgotten. I was in Navy ROTC when I was in college but due to [REDACTED - BORING]. My first father in law was also a retired navy pilot (F9) and I have a TON of sea stories from him, but they don't belong here. (TOO off-topic.)

I'm in Pensacola, FL which has been a Naval Aviation town for 100 years, so I have lived with Naval aircraft flying overhead for over 50 years. Unfortunately the local jet base was closed in the late 70's (??) so it's just been training aircraft since then. Still cool but... they turned Saufley Field (the jet base) into a federal ("country club") prison, but did leave a couple of navy commands there, one of which I worked at for quite a few years as a civilian contractor. By the way, you do not want to be sent to a "country club" prison no matter how great it might sound. ;)

13. Waynepjr Nov 3, 2014

My uncle was a RIO in an F4 in the the Air Force during Vietnam. The RIO is the radio/instruments officer who ran the radar, did the jamming and other such operations inflight while the pilot did the flying and shooting. It was a definite 2 man team and kills went to both men not just the pilot.
    My uncle bought a Breitling Cosmonaute in Hong Kong while on R&R when Breitling did a big release there in 1964. He got one of the first sold in the Far East. He was ribbed by his buddies for having a "commie" watch as it was the Cosmonaute he purchased and not the Navitimer that was more popular with guys. He liked the 24hr dial and felt it fit better to life in the military for him.
    While on a mission over North Vietnam, his plane was shot at by 3 SAM surface to air missiles and while this usually would have been a great chance for a shoot down by the enemy, his pilot was able to avoid all three missiles and return them home safe, making it was his closest encounter to being shot down in the war. During the avoidance, he slammed his watch into the cockpit wall and broke it, noticing only when he returned to his quarters. He felt it was a good luck omen and took it off and never got it fix or wearing again. When I was 17 he told me the story and gave me the watch with the strict desire it never be fixed. I never did.
    Two years ago, his oldest son learned I had the watch and asked for it. What could I say so I gave it to him. I was honored to be the caretaker of it for a time and the honor man who wore it. I'll look for a picture a post.

Nactex, kkt, George.A and 7 others like this.
  14. Fretworker Nov 3, 2014

Excuse me for a moment - has anyone got DIBS on the F4? :whistling:

kkt, Spacefruit and tpatta like this.
  15. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2014

Good luck posting that bad boy...

Can you imaging the seller review...

"I purchased a Phantom F4 from Master of Speed and all went smoothly. Package was wrapped well and delivered on a low loader, exactly as described!"

16. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 6, 2014

I feel the need.......the need for speed (y)

sam2mars and MikiJ like this.
  17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 7, 2014

18. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 7, 2014

Sweet. Number 9 is stunning. From horizontal to vertical in a split second. Just stand that bad boy on its tail and accelerate. I only flew twin engine piston. Flying low? No problem. Acceleration and climb? Not so much. :D

19. Waynepjr Nov 7, 2014

Well, this is the Beast we were talking about.... Nothing more masculine then the Phantom!!! Don't scare the kids!!

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 7, 2014

.....and this is sales thread :D. I love how we hijacked a thread !!!! But probsbly this F4 really need its own thread.

kkt and Waynepjr like this.