Forums Latest Members
  1. NineBolts Jul 17, 2022

Hi All,
    I'm a Brit living in London, later this month I'm heading to NY for a 1 week business trip. I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity to pick up a watch. I like the idea of getting a modern Speedy Pro Co-axial Saphire the 310.30.42.50.01.002.

However, looks like the UK government has done away with Duty Free sales in the airside shops. I last travelled to the US in 2018 and at the time Watches of Switzerland T5 were selling watches at ex VAT prices.

So my questions are around being to pick up the watch at the best price. I'd prefer WoS but looks like the big savings are perhaps gone now.

Anyone know the current status of prices at WoS airside stores, example are they discounting to make up for the duty change or are they still able to offer duty free?

I could buy the watch in the US, I guess the $-£ makes this less apealing but looks like I could still save a few hundred pounds.

What other options are there, anyone finding UK dealers discounting the 310.30.42.50.01.002

It's obviously not an essential purchase - it's more a question of making the most of an opportunity. If I should wait until later in the year and pick one up for example Black Friday then I'll do that but does that watch ever get discounted or subject to sale prices.

2. NineBolts Aug 3, 2022

I now have my Speedmaster Professional Co-Axial Saphire 10.30.42.50.01.002. I bought it last week from a listing here.

If any one has the same questions that I had then here are the answers.

There are no more duty free watch sales in the UK airports. Watches of Switzerland have expanded their shop in T5 and now have a WoS store and a seperate Rolex only store. However, they are charging UK retail prices.

I did a quick visit around various Omega stores and ADs. 5% was the best discount, they did not make much effort to get my business, they all had the attitude that they sell these all day long at RRP. The Omega boutique in the Royal Exchange had one interesting option, they would sell it with an included free 1st service that could be taken anytime as long as it was with Omega UK.

I bought a new watch from a grey dealer on here, I was very happy with transaction and saved almost £1000, even allowing for the terrible exchange rates. I appreciate many don't like the risks of going outside the dealer network. I'm really happy with my new daily watch and the price paid for it.

3. cineaste Aug 3, 2022

At Athens airport one AD was doing 9% last September, so I am not really surprised with the 5% discount at an airport.

4. paddymoran Aug 3, 2022

Was there the option to buy retail in the US and claim the duty/ tax back when leaving the county? I’m assuming tax would be circa 15-20%. Pretty sure it’s 23% here in Ireland.

5. Evitzee Aug 3, 2022

Sales tax is a state/local function in the US, there really is no provision or program to get whatever duty or sales tax paid on a US sale back when you leave the country.

paddymoran likes this.
  6. DoctorEvil Aug 3, 2022

Was passing through Melbourne Airport on my way to Singapore about a month ago and popped in to the Rolex outlet there (part of Watches of Switzerland) to have a look. You can get a Rolex there duty free, which is 10% off retail price. They had watches you can try on but none for immediate sale. You have to register your interest first, then when you finally "get the call" they'll hold the watch for up to 60 days to give you enough time to plan your next overseas trip.
    Every thread needs some watch pics, so... :D
    PXL_20220630_004409349.jpg PXL_20220630_004314274.jpg PXL_20220630_005428271.jpg

7. NineBolts Aug 4, 2022

I did pop into the WoS Rolex store in Heathrow T5. I had to laught at what I was told. They have a huge number of back orders, so many that they have stopped taking new orders. They have zero stock of anything but can get Ladies watches in quicker... They mostly act as a collection point and there's no cost benefit to buying watches airside in the UK.

but as you say, every thread needs some watch pics...

Watch was purchased in NY (Not retail, Sales Tax would make it more expensive than UK)
    So this is with the full length bracelet.
    IMG_2774.jpeg

Four links removed

IMG_2836.jpeg

IMG_2837.jpeg

This along with my 39mm Explorer are daily watches.

inchpincher, DoctorEvil and nlogax like this.
  8. Evitzee Aug 4, 2022

Defeats the whole concept of a duty free purchase, a last chance opportunity to get a high end product with tax/duty automatically taken off, so no need to allow extra time during passport control procedure to wait in line at a customs window with forms to be stamped upon presentation of goods. And hoping that the GST paperwork is complete. This Rolex process might work for a frequent overseas traveller but worthless for everyone else. Can't believe the investment in a Rolex boutique in an international departure situation pays off for the vendor at the present time. These rentals aren't cheap.

Edited Aug 4, 2022
    DoctorEvil likes this.
  9. bmpennington Aug 4, 2022

If I were you I would try to buy it used in the UK or US when you travel, not from an AD. That will be the best price.

10. Croc Aug 4, 2022

And keep in mind duty/VAT when bringing back a watch purchased abroad, may well make it cheaper just to buy in the U.K.

11. DoctorEvil Aug 4, 2022

Agree with you on that one. If I were a frequent international business traveller, on company money, I might just put myself down for an Explorer. The saving on GST alone would have been about AUD$1000, a not insignificant sum. Doesn't make sense doing a last minute overseas holiday just to get the discount. The cost of the air fare alone would chew up any savings I would have made.