Forums Latest Members
  1. Daniel Lemire Aug 11, 2011

Hello Fellows,
    Just added this nice Seamaster Automatic Day-Date from 1984.
    It came with two bracelets
    One not original (the end pieces are curved)
    The other one original.
    The watch was in a pawn shop, selling dirth cheap, I had to move.
    The watch is calider 1020 in excellent condition.
    The band currently on the watch reads 1181/215
    The second band reads 1425 with 789 end pieces.
    I cannot find any reference to these two bands.
    I would like to know if they are original? Special orders?
    An photo (3).JPG photo (2).JPG d what case number I could fit to the spare one with 789 end pieces?
    Thanks

2. ulackfocus Aug 11, 2011

You'll see listings for links for both the 1181 and 1425 bracelets at Ofrei: http://www.ofrei.com/page1277.html. That means those numbers do correspond to Omega part numbers.

As far as what watch(es) they fit.... well, that's above my pay grade so no help there. Nice watch though.

3. Daniel Lemire Aug 11, 2011

Wow you're good. I went through their whole website without finding anything matching these numbers. Thanks! I'll keep looking for a matching case. With a good band like that, I should be able to find an orphan watch!

4. Daniel Lemire Aug 11, 2011

The link does not look like the ones I have though... Mine are wider and shorter. The ones on Ofei are smaller but taller. And no reference to the end links 789. Are they even omega?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2011

The reason the one on Ofrei looks different is that the one they have listed is not your bracelet, but rather the replacement for your bracelet. Some companies discontinue parts like bracelets after a time, but most higher end watchmakers will offer a replacement for a part that is compatible. For example, the early Rolex 9315 bracelets found on Submariners, GMT-Masters and the like in the 1960s and early 1970s are rare now because they were notoriously weak (made from folded links) and tended to fail. Instead of replacing them with the same part which would fail again, Rolex designated the 93150 bracelet that I have on my old Sub as the replacement to the 9315. Its an exact fit, and externally looks almost the same, but is much more durable and well designed.

Similarly Omega have made many excellent bracelets that have lasted like the Beads-Of-Rice Stainless Steel bracelets of the Seamasters and Constellations, but have also made some bracelets that were simply hopeless and fell apart (the Omega 1039 Speedmaster bracelet springs to mind). The 1039 was replaced by 1171 and 1450 bracelets which were much stronger and more dependable. The later bracelets were completely different in design but fitted perfectly.

Similarly with this bracelet, the design with the wide narrow links on the original was probably unique to your watch, for that reason it may have been difficult to continue manufacturing a bracelet for a single watch, which may have prompted them to issue a replacement, or there may have been difficulties with reliability on your bracelet (yours could be fine because judging by the look of the watch, its had a very easy life).

In any case, that's why the current one, while it fits perfectly doesn't look the same.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2011

In something completely unrelated, since we have you here and you're French Canadian, do you know exactly how they go about making the cheese used in Poutine? We're trying to make some in Australia and its proving very difficult to obtain.

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 11, 2011

If cheese curds are actually banned here (unpasteurized), I think it could be a challenge. Wow, weirdest thread-hijack, ever.

Welcome to the forums Daniel. I'm originally from Winterpeg. :)

8. Daniel Lemire Aug 12, 2011

Thank you all for your replies.
    I still haven't found an answer concerning the 789 end pieces... On which case I can fit them?
    As for poutine, this highly nutricious and healthy meal is made with fries, brown gravy and cheese curds.
    In French Canadian, cheese curds are "crotte de fromage" with litterally translate to "Cheese poop"
    In any instance, google for "recette de crotte de fromage" and you'll find, in French, many recipes to create artisan cheese curds.
    Copy and paste the French text into Google Translate and you should be fine to make your own.
    Good Luck and keep us posted...

dsio and Trev like this.
  9. Steve Aug 12, 2011

OMG... i've just entered the twilight zone...????

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 12, 2011

Indeed. Quite random. You came for the vintage Omega, and now the thread has switched to french-canadian cheese curd. Surprising how easily this can happen :thumbsup:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2011

[​IMG]

Tell me you don't want this!

12. Steve Aug 12, 2011

I knew there was a reason why I keep coming back here.

13. Steve Aug 12, 2011

DUUUUUUUUDE... are you serious..????:confused:

14. Steve Aug 12, 2011

Might be nice between 2 thick slices of white bread ?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2011

Serious as a heart attack!

Compared to this dish, smoking isn't all that bad. Yet I still really want to try it! How good does that look though lol?

16. Steve Aug 12, 2011

LOL.. maybe after a good night out with your mates, a few beers and eating this about 12 o'clock at night !. :)

17. Daniel Lemire Aug 12, 2011

Poutine is one of those thing you like or dislike. No in-betweens... There is a trend now in Quebec for the "Enhanced" poutine experience where chefs will add foie gras, smoked meat, chicken, peas or whatever to the meal to make it more interesting than ever!!! We are indeed far from High Grade Swiss Orology ;-)

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2011

Mate here in Australia our equivalent would be the midnight kebab. That's the 2AM I've had too much to drink, "oh look there's a shady shop" snack in these parts. Nothing wrong with being classless if its tasty ;)

19. Daniel Lemire Aug 12, 2011

Nothing better than an after-hour poutine. For the record, US in Quebec knows how to party and clubs and bar close at 3AM, not midnight! We usually have our poutine at 3:30AM, then walk across town to digest and get home at dawn to sleep...

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2011

Those must come back up as some very nasty looking chunks the following morning :D