Uni-compax 124018 sale advice

Posts
6,461
Likes
21,977
Possibly first UG purchase. Offered to me at 3500 usd. Seems fair but not a steal. I am interested in interesting vintage chronographs. This is new territory for me. I think I need a UG at some point.

No movement pic yet but movement is described as clean and serviced in the past (no date when.) Hence, runs, sets and resets. Correct 285.

Appears unpolished. Spotting on the dial but seems typical for rectangular pushers and vintage. The spotting is perhaps my major concern, but seems to be offset by the decent case and good print remaining? 18k rose gold. Not normally a gold guy but it seems attractive in this watch. Supposed to be 37mm, which is a good size.

Pictures are poor and I will see the watch tomorrow.

My assumptions are that it is all original, including the dial.

I make a humble request for your advice from your collective wisdom and experience.

I hope you like it because I feel the tug of new found love, so am not clear headed. Also, I confess to a fear of passing it over as I have passed on other watches from this gentleman, which I have come to regret. This was not on my radar and I was calling about something else when he said, "By the way, are you interested in UG, I just got this in..?"

Which brings me here.

 
Posts
13,906
Likes
54,078
I think this is a 124103 ... anyway here is mine for reference.. I have seen these go as high as $4800 a few years back for really mint watches. I'd need to see better pics as these are pretty bad. Overall the watch looks good. The dial is patinated but not unpleasantly. Overall the number seems fair. With these you want the cleanest watch you can find as they are really elegant dress chronographs.There is mostly garbage out there now. This one is pretty nice. Side views, movement inside case back would help. Plan on a service.
Edited:
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
I don't think there's much point in commenting until better photos are available, including photos of the dial. Everything depends on the condition of the dial and its appeal. I'm seeing a fair amount of damage, so we really need to good look. Really, it's also pointless to speculate on value until we see the movement as well,

In general, I think it's best to defer threads like this until you have all the good photos and information and then post them all at once time. If you provide info and photos in a piecemeal way, some people will look at the thread once and then never check back in again and you will miss getting good feedback from the top experts.
 
Posts
13,906
Likes
54,078
Let’s see the pics. Still worth a closer look. Get some daylight on that dial.
 
Posts
6,461
Likes
21,977
@Dan S and @Larry S. Thanks.

It's a 124108. From your feedback I may have enough info to make an informed decision.

I will update this when I get more info.

Thanks.
 
Posts
13,906
Likes
54,078
Well ... it has promise. I guess I’m more of a glass half full guy. Better more comprehensive pics are key.
 
Posts
6,461
Likes
21,977
Part of the back story is he offered me a 145.022 68 transitional single owner for 5700 about 4 months ago. I hesitated and called him back in a week and it was gone. I still kick myself.

I want to keep the offers coming instead of being the guy who says no. This one doesn't need to be perfect. But i do want to keep it, even if it becomes something i would trade later, depending.

I usually don't like splotchy dials but overall if it's attractive and balanced, it might be okay.

Glass half full.
 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,942
it looks expensive to me. Dial looks very aged. Maybe I am wrong.
 
Posts
6,461
Likes
21,977
Reporting back.

Well, I decided to not buy the watch based on the dial condition and cost. Then I saw the watch and bought it at asking. I agree it was up there in cost but I think fair based on today's rise in prices and the condition, not to mention the cost of gold.

You all were right on about the crappy pictures. I shouldn't have asked for advice and opinions based on the pictures.

Here is the watch. I put on my big boy pants and made my decision. It's the classyiest watch I own. Feel free to comment, as that is the purpise of this thread. I don't expect complete agreement with my decision. Regardless, i really appreciate your previous comments. Next time I will get better pics.

I own a UG!

 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,942
Well actually watch looks waaaaaay better now! Definitly bad pics from seller! Congrats! 😀
 
Posts
13,906
Likes
54,078
124103! And a beauty. Wear it in good health.
 
Posts
214
Likes
426
Watch is nice, looks a lot better in your photos. Congrats!
The size is 37.5mm I think, they wear large. This one makes the my other vintage watches look tiny.

Is then minutes sub-dial hand blue?
 
Posts
481
Likes
859
I like it but then I'm partial to a little patina...lovely contrast in daylight. Congratulations and welcome the the UG family.
Edited:
 
Posts
1,523
Likes
3,150
Lovely vintage UG. Money well spent ... It is an excellent investment as the number of good vintages will only go down so prices can only go one way.
 
Posts
6,461
Likes
21,977
Watch is nice, looks a lot better in your photos. Congrats!
The size is 37.5mm I think, they wear large. This one makes the my other vintage watches look tiny.

Is then minutes sub-dial hand blue?

Yes, it is blue.

Photographing a watch is much harder than I originally thought. Much repect to all those great pictures out there from amateur photographers.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I am a little surprised the on for sale in the private sales section hasn't sold.
 
Posts
214
Likes
426
Yes, it is blue.

Ok, so one is black and the other one blue?
They are normally both same colour, black.
 
Posts
1,180
Likes
4,233
They are normally both same colour, black.
yes and no.
Yes, same color.
No, not black but blued steel.
All correct on this nice Compax.
 
Posts
214
Likes
426
yes and no.
Yes, same color.
No, not black but blued steel.
All correct on this nice Compax.

You mean the sub dials can have different colour hands? One black and one blued steel?
Edited:
 
Posts
1,180
Likes
4,233
left is not black, it's patinated and the light.
But @pdxleaf can tell you better