Forums Latest Members

Unexpected Visitor (sorry, not watches)

1. Pvt-Public Jun 9, 2024

I found this Luna Moth on my front door this morning. Apparently rarely seen because of their short lifespan (7-10 days) and they are mostly nocturnal.
    IMG_0366.jpeg

kkt, ahartfie, hen and 28 others like this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 9, 2024

These are cool. I was lucky enough to see a few together near Sudbury Ontario once.

Pvt-Public likes this.
  3. Pastorbottle Jun 9, 2024

That is one trippy looking critter!

Pvt-Public likes this.
  4. Dsloan Jun 9, 2024

I love these! Used to see them a lot as a kid in SC, but I don't really see them up in the Mid-Atlantic where I am now.

Fun fact: they use dead leaves to make their cocoons. I use this info as a way to justify the fact that I don't rake the leaves in my yard in the fall. Maybe I'll get some cocooning on my property one day. :)

Edited Jun 9, 2024
    DaveK and Pvt-Public like this.
  5. Pvt-Public Jun 9, 2024

I am in central VA, and this is the first time in my 61 yrs. I've seen one in person. My G/F's mom has lived in this area all her life 80+yrs. and has never seen one.

Dsloan likes this.
  6. Dsloan Jun 9, 2024

Maybe climate change is pushing them north. Knowing this forum, I bet some watch collector with a PhD in entomology will hop on in a moment to educate us.

kkt, CBM1590, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  7. Pvt-Public Jun 9, 2024

One of the really nice things about this forum, the diversity.

kkt likes this.
  8. Pvt-Public Jun 9, 2024

There is no way in hell I'm going to get away with that one. :whipped:

Dsloan likes this.
  9. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 9, 2024

What a magnificent creature. If your property hosts flowering plants attractive to nectar feeders and pollinators, you’ll eventually get some unexpected visitors.

10. Pvt-Public Jun 9, 2024

It seems the wildlife already like my property. It was nothing but woods until about a year ago. the wildlife still think it is theirs, and I'm not discouraging them, I love it. Lots of flowering plants to attract "friends" only have about an acre, but it is mostly wooded. We get everything from squirrels to bears, hummingbirds to buzzards, they are all welcome here. Except maybe the bears.

sheepdoll and Watch my Whisky like this.
  11. Pvt-Public Jun 9, 2024

I never expected this kind of response to my post, thank you all.

CBM1590 likes this.
  12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 9, 2024

Saw a couple of these when spending a few days in the Finger Lakes region a few years back. Have not seen any around the DC area though, and thankfully neither has our cat. They are pretty cool.

DaveK likes this.
  13. Pvt-Public Jun 9, 2024

Wouldn’t last long around this beast.
    pro-4o4Y2Yyh.jpeg

kkt and BlackTalon like this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 9, 2024

It’s a very special experience to see one. I’ve seen two or three on my 67 years. They are lovely.

15. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Jun 9, 2024

Beautiful creature! I have an inordinate affection for insects. While my Ph.D is in Biology, my major prof made me take an entomology course over my objection. Turned out to be one of the most interesting and enjoyable courses of my graduate career.

While they are short lived in their adult stage, Luna Moths are actually fairly common and their normal range is from Florida all the way into southern Canada. For those that have never seen one, take a night venture to an area that is well lit. Tennis courts will do the trick nicely. Good chance you find one…just bring your bug net (everybody’s got one of those, right? :thumbsup:).

Dsloan likes this.
  16. fiberguy Jun 9, 2024

Very cool. I have never seen one in the wild

17. Dsloan Jun 9, 2024

That makes sense - they used to make regular appearances when I played baseball night games as a kid. I remember missing a couple grounders because I got distracted by them.

CBM1590 likes this.