Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 4, 2015

After arriving in Paris in Tuesday morning after 27 hours flying we (Annie and myself) were fairly worn out and didn't start to feel human again until Late Wednesday.

So on Thursday, now feeling like normal people, we arranged to meet up with Yann (@Tire-comedon ) .

Yann arrived at our hotel at about 8PM and we adjourned to the lounge, armed ourselves with drinks and got to know each other. We chatted about watches, forums, cities, people and all manner of things.

Turning seriously to watches, I produced the bag I was given at the Breguet boutique, unfortunately it only contained two Breguet books and no watches but I had my small collection of travel watches which we all had a good look at, and then Yann produced his watch roll and started of a mouth watering reveal with a trench watch from the first world war. Then followed an amazing selection of vintage watches from 1920s up to late 1940s. They were amazing examples of items like the St Christopher, an Omega Weems, an original Medicus and the best one (to me) an Omega Marine from 1930s.

After an hour and a half, we realized we hadn't had dinner, so Yann suggested that he show us a traditional French restaurant. So off we went, walking down Boulevard Haussmann and heading past Opera to Rue de la Paix and finally, the Cafe de la Paix.

There we spent another couple of hours enjoying the atmosphere in one of the most ornate "cafes" I've ever seen.

Dinner over we strolled back to our hotel where we said farewell to Yann and headed for bed. As soon as our heads touched the pillows I think we went straight to sleep.

What a great evening it was, and what a pleasure it was to meet Yann and share the experience with him.

As with any post, worthless without pictures, so here is the only one I managed to take, so absorbed in watch gazing and conversation that photography was far from my mind.

It's a "golf watch" that could be clipped to your belt to prevent shock from swinging clubs, and it could also be placed on the table to act as a desk clock. A truly beautiful example of art deco.

YGW.JPG

Syrte, TexasKevin, ChrisN and 10 others like this.
  2. lillatroll Sep 4, 2015

What a fantastic start to your retirement holiday. Are you only going to France or are you doing a grand tour of Europe? That watch is a corker of a watch by the way.

devnull and citizenrich like this.
  3. TNTwatch Sep 4, 2015

So you always bring along your Belomo triplet with your travelling or you're going on to private GTGs around the world? ;)

Have a great time and enjoy!

citizenrich likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 4, 2015

Only France this time. 10 days cruising on the Seine, then TGV to Bordeaux and 10 days cruising on the Garonne, Dordogne and Gironde.

And again, a massive thankyou to Yann for his company, guidance and entertainment.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 4, 2015

Two of the finest Forum people I know and consummate gentlemen, would have loved to have been there!
    Who picked up the tab?
    Since you are retired now Jim, let the working kids snag one now and again.

So close, no time for Bienne?

Yann, a fine effort on showing how to be an exemplary host.

Was Jim's attire appropriate?

cropped-07-013.jpg

6. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 5, 2015

Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot again for this very nice evening. It was a real pleasure to meet you and Annie. I should have taken a picture of your travel watches case (by the way it is the first time I meet someone taking 7 watches for traveling!).
    Take care,

Matty01 likes this.
  7. Geo! Sep 5, 2015

I hope the rest if your holiday is as good as the start, have a good one! :)

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 8, 2015

Two of my favorite omega forums people chilling in the city of lights.

Yann has a bad a$$ Omega collection. Jim: I've heard those river cruises are top notch - I bet you and the miss-us have a blast!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 10, 2015

Having a great time, in Honfluer today and it's just magnificent.

The internet has just crapped again so I'll try to load some pics later, in the meantime here is the Wittnauer that Yann was admiring.

P1040274.JPG

P1040273.JPG
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 10, 2015

Oh, looks like the internet got a burst of power, travel watches are below the Witt.

11. Geo! Sep 10, 2015

That's quite a collection you have taken with you Jim, very nice indeed! I hope the holiday is going well. :)

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 13, 2015

Well it's no longer an evening in Paris, after leaving Honfluer we visited Caudebec en Caux and are now moored in Vernon. This morning we rode our bikes from Vernon to Monet's garden. The weather was quite wet, by the time we got to the garden we were drenched from the waist down so it was a quick view (as we'd been there before) and back on the bikes and headed for the ship using electric power on the return trip. :D

I'm now ensconced in the lounge with dry clothes on, a hot coffee and light music.

Here's a shot of Annie enjoying a pleasant ride through the French country side :whistling:

Annie and Bike.jpg

And an obligatory shot of me on the bridge over the water lily pond, I think I was wetter than the water lilies.:rolleyes:

JimMonetBridge.jpg

noelekal, Tire-comedon, Geo! and 3 others like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 13, 2015

And so that you don't all think we are having an awful time, a shot of me and my wine waiter Robert, taken at dinner last night.

The observant may just see, peeking out from under my cuff, the little grey dial Omega I got from Rhett, I call it my Tuxedo Omega as it doesn't have a name.

JimRobert.JPG

tpatta, Tire-comedon, Geo! and 6 others like this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 16, 2015

I met a lady in Conflans, sorry no watch content, but I VenusConflans.JPG wearing my trusty X-33

citizenrich, Hijak and TNTwatch like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 16, 2015

Just as I'm wearing it today, now at Bourg, a city at the confluence of La Dordogne and the river Garonne in the Aquitaine region.

P1040494.JPG

TNTwatch likes this.
  16. M.D. Sep 16, 2015

Sounds like a fantastic trip so far! And looks as if you've got all your potential watch needs covered.

17. Delbok Sep 17, 2015

Lucky man ! If you need some advice for some nice restaurants in Bordeaux, give a shout !

citizenrich and JimInOz like this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 17, 2015

Well, being stuck in Bourg overnight wasn't so bad, I wore my little Cal 620 "Tuxedo"............

TuxWatch.JPG

to dinner with my Darlin'...........

Dinner16Sep.JPG

that turned out to be a birthday surprise with the crew singing Happy Birthday and presenting me with a huge cake. Luckily I didn't have to eat it all, my pants are already tight enough!

:D

Birthday Cake.JPG

19. Delbok Sep 17, 2015

Ah ah very nice ! Hope it was as good as beautiful !

20. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 17, 2015

Happy birthday, JIMBO !!!!!!!!

(That cake looks really FN good and so do you!)

JimInOz likes this.