Forums Latest Members

Underwhelmed with my first NOS watch

1. philh Oct 24, 2016

I have just bought my first NOS watch which was a 1971 Seiko 6139 still in its blue plastic case with tag and papers but whilst it is a cracking watch it has failed to excite me. I can only put this down to the fact it has no history other than it has sat in a garage for 40 plus years.
    I collect vintage watches and whilst I spend hours looking for unpolished cases,original hands ,dials etc is that really what I want ?

That's what the investment market wants but it feels a little cold and calculated when I have it in my hands

It has got me thinking about what matters most to me about a watch. Condition versus history

In 20/30 years time would I want to buy a watch someone bought new today and purely parked it in a drawer untouched or buy the same watch but it had seen a life . Now the ideal would be a watch with a documented history so perhaps the way to go is to keep a watch diary

My wife already thinks I am weird but this would really freak her out

Jonatan and Wools like this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 24, 2016

I find your lack of pictures disturbing.

01_13010622_7d08af_2601548a.jpg

rhj, red crowned, Nitzbar and 13 others like this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 24, 2016

I think you may not be cut out for this obsession. I'll PM you my address and we'll work out the shipping details.

Thanks.

noelekal, ahartfie, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 24, 2016

Damn, missed by 14 minutes :mad:

5. redpcar Oct 24, 2016

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :(
    Wyler Dynawind.jpg

Omega1, red crowned, Edward53 and 2 others like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 24, 2016

I stopped reading at NOS 6139... I don't need to hear how awesome it is and that it's such a great piecebragging about being so happy with such a special piece.

GuiltyBoomerang and watchthirst like this.
  7. Scepticalist Oct 25, 2016

I suppose it depends how you view your purchases. I buy primarily on design and happen to prefer a lot of vintage designs.

If I decide to purchase a specific item I would want to buy the best example I could find/afford but some sympathetic aging such as lume colour can be attractive also and wouldn't deter me. I'm not a fan of buying a heavily worn example but each to their own.

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 25, 2016

NOS watches are only good for one thing...

Rip 'em open and wear 'em. ::psy::

Ok, that's two things, but still.

Edited Oct 25, 2016
    khmt2, LawBrk, noelekal and 7 others like this.
  9. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 25, 2016

You can always throw it in a jar with your keys and some coins and shake it vigorously. Then make up a really cool story for it. Like.... it was eaten by a shark while still attached to a surfer's arm. And then they went and hunted the shark down and strapped explosives to it. And when the shark exploded the watch flew out into the air and landed on the boat.

However I would not recommend that and I think the watch gods would curse you for doing so. They may have cursed me for even coming up with it:cautious:

10. lillatroll Oct 25, 2016

I have a few watches which still had the gunk still on them, I just took the crap off them and then thought no more about it. I don t think they are really much more valuable that a nice clean example of a particular model. Once you pull the gunk off and wear it a few times you will enjoy it more. If you cant bring yourself to do that and you don t enjoy it, probably best to sell it :)..........to me :)

blubarb, noelekal, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  11. philh Oct 25, 2016

I did a slight variation on this in that I gave the watch to my 19 year old son when we visited him this weekend at University and it is his daily wearer
    from now on in. I only wish I had got the watch earlier as in September he climbed Mt Kilimanjaro which would have been a good start to this watches belated history

Jwit and Darlinboy like this.
  12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 25, 2016

I hope you gave it a service...