Forums Latest Members
  1. jonten Dec 8, 2014

2. NT931 Dec 8, 2014

Hi and welcome!

First off, congrats on finding this forum, and for having the presence of mind to ask the many experts here.

I'm not one of the experts, but I'll try to help, and the experts will be along shortly.

Short version: Don't buy this watch

Long version: Don't buy this watch as:
    a. it's a redial, and there's a "dent on the dial due to age" (to use their phrase)
    b. it's overpriced
    c. it's small (32mm w/o crown)

And there are probably another 20 red flags that I've missed, which the experts will help provide.
    And if you're thinking of buying a good vintage Omega, the sales forums here are great! I've bought 4 vintage Omegas from fellow forumers, and I'd encourage you to explore.

Hope this helps!

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 8, 2014

...the case has been heavily polished, the crown is incorrect for this model, the hands are incorrect replacements, movement is rough...

4. jonten Dec 9, 2014

Thanks a lot for the advice, will steer clear!

I guess from this, there's lots of shades of grey in-between "authentic" and "fake"... When you say it's overpriced, is that relative to its condition/frankenstein nature? In some of the reputable dealers I've looked at (London) similar models are being sold at the £1,500+ mark. I figured that with them you're paying for the provenance, peace-of-mind, better servicing & condition. Is that price still inflated?

Regarding the small size (32mm), this was actually a selling point for me as I've got quite a slim wrist and didn't want something too big. Is there something intrinsically worse about these smaller watches though?

Many thanks again

5. John R Smith Dec 9, 2014

All the so-called "reputable" London dealers that I have come across are over-charging for their wares in an almost criminal fashion. And no, you are not paying extra for better provenance, servicing or condition, just a lot extra for their business rates and big flash car :thumbsdown:

6. marturx Dec 9, 2014

It's a Franken too. It should be a cal 552 inside. Not 501. So it's a 50ies movement inside a 60ies case.

Damn, it was an ugly one! :eek:

7. jonten Dec 9, 2014

Haha yeah I figured there'd be a bit of that, too. So what would be a 'fair' price for a model like this in good condition, not stitched together from multiple components?

8. John R Smith Dec 9, 2014

Well, this watch is far too recent for me to give an expert opinion, and others would be better placed. But here in the UK I would say around £500 - 600 GBP for a genuine example in fine condition with original dial (and that would be tops).

9. jonten Dec 9, 2014

OK that's encouraging. What's the best strategy for unearthing these, still eBay but with a skeptical eye? The forums here have been mentioned as well... any other good resources you'd recommend?

Cheers

10. John R Smith Dec 9, 2014

You have PM . . .

11. NT931 Dec 9, 2014

Watch size is really dependent on preference, but honestly 32mm is really rather small unless you have a really slim wrist. I have a slim 6.3" wrist and personally I find anything <34mm really small. 34-35mm is mostly ok, though my preferred range for vintage is 35-36mm.

And these are the measurements without the crown - sometimes sellers will measure them with crown to inflate the size by 1-2mm.

Other than the visual impact and lower resale value (if you decide to sell it), AFAIK there's nothing intrinsically worse about a smaller watch.