Forums Latest Members

WITHDRAWN Uncommon Vintage Movado 14k Dress Watch

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 16, 2020

Another relative rarity from my collection, this time in the form of a double-branded Movado.

Having done further research, catalyzed by some questions from @DirtyDozen12, Orlys was either a small retailer, and/or possibly a small German watch brand that used Swiss movements.

The 34mm, 14k rose gold case is marked "Orlys", and It appears that it was manufactured by "Schuler & Kun" (thanks again to @DirtyDozen12), in Pforzheim Germany. This case is in good condition, though like most of its age, it has seen some polishing. The chamfers on the lugs remain apparent, though I assume that they originally were more sharply defined. The case back is another interesting element of the watch, as it features what I consider to be a very attractive inscription. Not only is it attractive, but "W.L.", presumably the original owner, appears to have been 100 years old when he received the watch as a gift! It also dates the watch as having been originally sold in 1952. I really do consider this to be a very positive feature of the watch, and one of the nicest inscriptions that I have ever found.

The watch is in good to very good condition throughout. The crosshair dial is a slightly eccentric style that I have always liked very much, with the Arabic 3 and 9 offset from their usual positions. I first saw this style on a Patek Philippe model, and in fact owned this one for several years! The dial on this Movado features a nice vertical brushing as well, and is in excellent condition. The markers are applied, and presumably gold, as I see no corrosion to speak of. The hour and minute hands are also corrosion-free, though under magnification, the second hand shows a touch of oxidation.

The 17 jewel, 10.5 ligne movement is a caliber 261, which, based on Roland Ranfft's data, has a 43 hour power reserve. It is working, but should certainly be serviced if the new owner intends to wear the watch at all regularly.

While I believe that the crown is likely to be original, I cannot be certain.

As I bought this watch many years ago, I am, in spite of gold being at or near all-time highs in most currencies, going to price this watch quite reasonably: $750 (or Euro equivalent) including EMS express shipping. No strap – head only.

I will ship, as always, from my home in Portugal, and can accept either PayPal or a bank transfer. Those based in the U.S. should note that Customs has slowed considerably as a result of the virus, so patience is required!

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jul 17, 2020