Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 Feb 15, 2014

I've spent a few months trying to find a suitable pre-owned 37mm JLC Reserve de Marche, as the current 39mm RDM is just too big for me. There were a few contenders, but sometimes there were questions, or the seller's price was too high, or the watch would be >5 years old and need (expensive) servicing. Also, I was hoping for one with a display back (ie. from mid-2000's and later) and preferably with the double-fold deployant, as the single-fold one is less comfortable.

In the midst of negotiating the price with a Chrono24 dealer from Maastricht, a 37mm RDM popped up on ebay. It dated from Apr 2011, with a display back and a double-fold deployant. SpikiSpikester and ulackfocus helped me vet the watch. I put in a bid and I snagged the watch!

I was surprised by how big the box was. 'Extra Large Box' indeed!
    41738-19083d500fefda0fe76a8547976c7ceb.jpg

That frisson of excitement when you open the box...
    025a.jpg

019a.jpg

The 37mm was perfect for my scrawny wrist. The dial is hard to describe, but it's slightly off-white and shimmers beautifully in natural light. The blued hands add a gentle contrast.
    022a.jpg

Loved the display back (sorry it's blurry, it's from my iphone)
    024a.jpg

The nice thing was all B&P were intact; the original manual was still shrink-wrapped! Best of all, the seller was nice enough to leave a little thank you note.
    017a.jpg
    Call me old-fashioned but I thought it was a nice touch.

And now to make a custom strap for this new arrival...

Thanks to Warren, Dennis, Al & Gavin for helping me with this search - couldn't have done this without you guys!

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2014

Congratulations Nigel, it looks great !

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 15, 2014

Congrats on your new buy. Very well rewarded for your patience. Both the RO and Rdm are very fine pieces. So what's next?

4. Dablitzer Feb 15, 2014

Very nice indeed, the added note was a nice touch!

5. NT931 Feb 15, 2014

Thanks Gavin. Given the parlous state of the watch fund, sadly, the only thing I can afford right now (which is justified by the 2 new arrivals) is a bigger safe!

Seriously, no new purchases for now ... the RO and the RdM depleted the fund a fair bit and I shall be judicious from here on. Then again, Dsio's Daytona was a real beauty...

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 15, 2014

Nigel you score awesome watches after our GTG. AP RO then this JLC. Very very nice......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2014

Put that on the list of 'watches I want to see in person' when I make it to your side of the globe. :thumbsup:

NT931 likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2014

Damn Nigel that's two very nice new pieces in one week!

9. NT931 Feb 15, 2014

Thanks Ashley & Herianto. It was quite a bit of luck actually.

When we met last Sat at the GTG, I had found the post putting the RO up for sale only the night before, and the RDM auction was still running. I actually woke up at 5.30am on Sunday to check the last few minutes of the RDM auction!

Having secured the RDM Sunday morning, I visited the RO seller on Sunday afternoon and really liked the watch, but was in a dilemma - should I splash out the money for 2 rather expensive watches in the space of a week? After all I had bagged the RDM. Then again, 36mm RO's aren't on sale that often, especially locally. The Voice Of Reason (ie. wife) would say that the JLC was enough!

In the end, 2 factors swung my vote towards buying the 2nd watch (the RO)
    - my friend Ben convinced me that I'd regret it if I passed on the RO
    - the Voice Of Reason trotted off to Australia for a business trip

So that's how I got both. I guess the useful lesson I've learnt from fellow forumers is - if there's something you want, save up funds, watch, set up alerts, and when the right one comes along, act decisively.

And surprisingly, The Voice Of Reason actually approves of the RO. She likes the octagon and the bracelet, though not too fond of the blue dial. I count that as a win. And as for the RDM, she thinks it's one of my vintage watches that I've already owned for some time... :whistling:

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 16, 2014

LOL :D
    ....but as you say, every Singaporean must have Rolex and AP ( plus patek?) ....[/quote]

11. NT931 Feb 16, 2014

Well Rolexes are hugely popular in Singapore. APs and Panerais too, and IWC, Omega as well.

Somehow JLC slips under the radar, which suits me just fine.A few of my colleagues wear JLCs (Master Control, Squadra, 39mm RDM, vintage) and we give each other a knowing smile when we bump into each other at work.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 16, 2014

TAG Heuer really does slip under the radar in Singapore too, its everywhere here in Australia, but hardly anywhere over there

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 16, 2014

Panerai.... I forgot that one

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 16, 2014

Tag Heuer is hugely popular in Indonesia, too. Far above Omega, probably second only to Rolex

15. NT931 Feb 16, 2014

Yep, Singapore was big on Tag Heuer from the mid-90's to the mid-2000's but Tag somehow became less popular about 7-8 years ago. Not sure why but consumer tastes are fickle. Somehow Rolex navigates these shifting tides of consumer tastes with ease though.

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 16, 2014

It is interesting to see how a society 'perceive' a brand. In small Jakarta WIS community that I observed, there is at least 5 circle of influential brand of watches (purely my hypothesis with no scientific support):
    High end (Patek, AP, RM and Rolex), Luxury for mass (Rolex, Omega and Breitling), Trendy luxury (Panerai, Tag Heuer and Rolex), Practical quality (Seiko, Citizen and Casio) and Mass Fashion (Swatch, Fossil, Guess).
    They command relatively high resale value (especially Rolex) in pre owned market.
    VC, IWC, JLC, BlancPain, Breguet, Corum and many other brands (except few iconic type) have not been able to sustain high level interest of the local masses.
    Of course there is also temporary up and down trend, for example Cartier was very popular in 90's but after 2000 its popularity sunk.

17. i20rider Mar 8, 2014

I'm digging the reserve meter

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2014

So.... Have decided what your next, no new purchase is going to be? :D

19. NT931 Mar 8, 2014

Dunno yet, but trawling for ideas based on the 'mid-size watch' thread :whistling:

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 9, 2014

I see in my crystal ball, this will be your next mid size watch ;)
    37mm, White gold to match your lab coat, two persons name brand, awesome movement
    (picture courtesy of chrono24)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trev likes this.