Forums Latest Members

Unable to remove spring bars...any recommendations appreciated.

1. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 17, 2016

Greetings from Cincinnati, OH...

I've got a hankering to wear the original leather straps that came with my Longines Hour Angle re-edition that I purchased new in 1996. Specifically, I want to install the original black and brown leather straps (on the right in the first pic) so I can dork with the cool original strap extenders and wear my Hour Angle on the outside of my Navy flight jackets.

Currently, I'm unable to remove the spring bars...they are original to the watch and had a bent configuration when I purchased the watch new in 1996. Specifically, I can't get enough compression utilizing my Omega branded spring bar tool on either spring bar...I've tried all four spring bar ends...no joy. By not being able to achieve enough compression, the spring bar ends don't clear the lug holes and therefore can't be removed. I've been utilizing NATO straps on my Hour Angle for about a year, therefore, the same spring bars have been on the watch the entire time and have not been removed for about a year. In previous years, I've been able to remove the same spring bars when changing the original Longines black and brown leather straps.

Any recommendation(s) regarding this specific spring bar removal will be appreciated greatly. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance,

Mad Dog (Collin)

image.jpeg

The cantankerous spring bars...
    image.jpeg

The cantankerous spring bars (again)...
    image.jpeg

Edited Feb 18, 2016
  2. italy1861 Feb 17, 2016

Maybe a little squirt of wd-40 and then compressing them a few times to work the penetrant into the spring bar might help? I've cut off a set of stubborn bars but, I had replacements.

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. repoman Feb 17, 2016

I'd just snip them in the middle and pull them out; they need to be replaced anyway

redpcar, watchknut, RawArcher and 8 others like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 18, 2016

Are you sure those where bent from the factory? The original straps do not seem to need a bent springbar, and the bends look like they have been pulled out of shape, which might prevent them from giving enough to be removed.

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. flyingout Feb 18, 2016

I don't know, but you've shattered my previous impression of you as the ultimate spring bar strap changing ninja. ;)

Vercingetorix and Mad Dog like this.
  6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 18, 2016

If memory serves me correctly, I remember them being in a bent configuration from the factory when I purchased the watch new from a Longines AD in 1996...BUT...you bring up an interesting point...I've had others (local watch vendors/jewelers) state that the spring bars should be straight...and that they should have been straight from the factory. Maybe I had bent them very early on and didn't realize it...very possible.

7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 18, 2016

LOL...NATO straps, yes...straps requiring spring bar removal/installation, not so much. I have a really tough time with most spring bars...so I try to avoid spring bar removal/installation as much as possible.

8. flyingout Feb 18, 2016

I hear you. I had a hell of a time getting this asshole off. And it was just a throwaway Belforte that I thought I'd toss on a NATO for an afternoon to see how it runs. When there's a watch I worry about scratching, :eek:
    IMG_1261.jpg

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 18, 2016

Yeppers...when there's a watch you worry about scratching, :eek: :eek: :eek:...triple screamola on this end. It just seems that different spring bars have different tension requirements as well as different lug hole clearing requirements...the high tension jobs are tough for me...specifically regarding control. From my limited experience, it appears that you're trying to do 4 different things simultaneously which imho makes control difficult...

1. Applying pressure with one hand to hold/anchor the watch.
    2. Applying pressure with the other hand to manipulate the spring bar tool.
    3. Constantly attempting to confirm the spring bar tool business end is well seated and isn't going to slip off...which could result in scratching the lugs and/or case.
    4. Guiding the spring bar with the hold/anchor hand [fingers] so as to not scratch the underside of the lugs and/or case...it's like "hand/finger gymnastics" or something!

Also, I haven't had much luck with taping the lugs and/or case...I've had spring bars rip/scrape through the tape most of the time.

Edited Feb 18, 2016
  10. i20rider Feb 18, 2016

Break them off

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. flyingout Feb 18, 2016

Shoot them off!

redpcar, nlogax, yinzerniner and 2 others like this.
  12. i20rider Feb 18, 2016

You could.

13. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 18, 2016

Fixed it! :D

i20rider and flyingout like this.
  14. flyingout Feb 18, 2016

You must have better aim with a rifle than I have with a spring bar tool

Mad Dog and i20rider like this.
  15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 18, 2016

Easy fix
    image.jpeg

Hijak, Mad Dog and i20rider like this.
  16. i20rider Feb 18, 2016

OSP, ricardorio and Mad Dog like this.
  17. i20rider Feb 18, 2016

It's a possibility lol

flyingout likes this.
  18. i20rider Feb 18, 2016

I know some older pieces had fixed bars like some of the old military submariners. That wouldn't be the case would it?

19. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 18, 2016

That gives me an idea for watch GTGs (I haven't attended any yet)...spring bar tool darts...could be cool.

Bar patron: "Don't f*** with those watch dudes over there...they're pretty accurate with those funky looking darts with no feathers"

Giff2577 and i20rider like this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 18, 2016

Use a small pair of watchmakers side cutters to (gently) hold the shoulder and pull it down into the tube a few times.

This will tell you if the pins are compressible or stuffed.

If the pins/spring is so crudded up the best thing to do is use a heavier pair of side cutters to remove the bars.

Replacements are readily available in the correct diameter/length for your application.

Buy a dozen. You just cut'n'replace then.

:D

happytapy and Mad Dog like this.