Forums Latest Members

Um...What Polerouter Did I Just Buy???

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 7, 2016

Just pulled the trigger on my first Polerouter, and in typical fashion, went with my gut instead of doing research first. From what I can tell, and please correct me as I am probably off base, is that this watch is from the 1955 time frame, has the 138ss bumper auto movement, and a 36mm case. The dial and hands look original, and based on the profile, the crown looks original too. A trip to the spa for a new crystal and movement service and it should be good to go.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated, and apologies for the crappy pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Giff2577, pitpro and Traveler like this.
  2. Severin Apr 7, 2016

Looks nice and loved - I like 'em that way. Your estimate of vintage sounds right based on the serial number. Can't wait to see the grand reveal once you've landed a new crystal. Congrats!

watchknut likes this.
  3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

hey

First generation , bumper with 138 SS movement ... my personal favorite !

I have a few...... but these are Chronometres !

ug138ss-chronometre-1.jpg~original.jpg UGSteel-chronometre-1.jpg~original.jpg ugchronometre.jpg~original.jpg

killer watches when you can find them !

Good Hunting

bill Sohne

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

I have one very similar to yours:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your watch will look so much better with a new crystal. Make sure that you keep the original if is signed with a "U" in the middle. Replacements for those are made of unobtanium.

These are so hard to find in good condition.
    gatorcpa

Badwolf, Giff2577, Gatsby and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonatan Apr 8, 2016

Thats a great looking watch. Like everyone says, a service and a crystal change and you will have yourself a brand you watch. Looks like it's also never been polished.

watchknut likes this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 8, 2016

I appreciate all of the insight, and glad to know I didn't buy a dud.

The one downside is now I will have to start looking for others...

OMGRLX likes this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 11, 2016

Even better in the flesh...cannot wait to get a new crystal for it. The case is super sharp. I am really surprised at how beefy and solid this watch is...reminds me of a Railmaster in many ways.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gatsby, frere and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  8. Jonatan Apr 11, 2016

Yes, just much cooler!

9. Jonatan Apr 11, 2016

Sorry, that was a mistake, I mean just not as cool! I think you should stick to Omegas they are much nicer. :whistling:

OMGRLX, aap and watchknut like this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 11, 2016

Which is why I sold my Polerouter Date after I bought the one above.

There's a much bigger difference between the bumper and micro-rotor watches that you can see from Internet photos.
    gatorcpa

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 11, 2016

I was shocked when I took it out of the packaging, and while they are apples and oranges, the comparison of case thickness of the Polerouter to my 1967 165.024 tells the real story.
    [​IMG]

Giff2577 and Jonatan like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 11, 2016

That's funny, as that would be comparison that I would make, but for the rotating bezel.
    gatorcpa

OMGRLX and watchknut like this.
  13. Adam2941 Apr 11, 2016

Awesome find! I saw that one. You got a great price. I hope you do not polish the case at all. It sounds like you appreciate it the way it is. You can have your watchmaker put the case in the sonic cleaner with the other parts, which will make it shine a lot without polishing it. Nice, honest, all original find! Does the crystal have the "U" logo in the middle?

14. Kwijibo Apr 20, 2016

Hi, For what price did you get it? I saw one but the caseback is way too polished and don't want to pay too much for it.

cheers

15. Jonatan Apr 20, 2016

To my knowledge and in my experience. Such nice case back are hard to come by. I believe the case back details for most Polerouters was very, how to say, thin or light and most of the ones you find on the market have lost the logo unfortunatly.

16. Kwijibo Apr 20, 2016

The logo is visible though not very deep but figures are gone. The guy ask for 500 euros. the same with a black dial in little better condition except the caseback. Do you fin it fair?
    I'm crazy because I just missed a mircro rotor one in 18 k gold, NOS.... gone for 1850 euros. Check that out...
    IMAG0395.jpg

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

500 euros would have bought a couple of my watches, and a some spare parts :)

18. Kwijibo Apr 20, 2016

watchknut I'm glad for you ;) nice catch

19. Jonatan Apr 20, 2016

I can't give you an answer but I think it relates to what you're willing to pay. At one point you have to stop comparing with others and what they have paid. If you like the watch and really want one, get it. Depends what 500€ is to you. I'm a graduate student at University and it doesn't make much sense to me at the moment to spend more than 1000chf on a watch. I buy watches below 1000chf and get them fixed, wear them happily and get a lot of pleasure out of them.

Here's what I paid in the last year :
    110chf for my gold plated cal.215 + 500chf service and crystal replacement
    450chf for my newest SS cal. 215 + 400$ service and crystal replacement
    500$ for my cal. 68 + 250$ for service

Just ask @watchknut how much it cost him to get his serviced.

Sorry this is all the advice I can give you.

Giff2577 likes this.
  20. Jonatan Apr 20, 2016

EDIT : PS None of my watches are in amazing conditions like the ones the veteran members have on here.