Forums Latest Members

Ulysse Nardin Rehab - Worth It?

1. WatchVaultNYC Jul 17, 2018

Given my increasing confidence in my watchmaker, I am thinking of picking this one up for rehab. Not running, and caseback looks to be stuck. Rehab could cost more than that watch itself, and I don't know whats inside that watch, could be a mess inside there. However, the case is really sharp, it looks like the dial is clean and has not been refinished (pls correct me if I'm wrong), and I really like 35mm white dialed watches.

Thoughts about the rehab? This model? UN in general (I have never had one)

un pickup.jpg

2. Dan S Jul 17, 2018

I don't know much about UN either, but it's not so common to find one that is legit, and I also find this watch appealing. Can you check what's going on with the date-wheel and the date-window? I guess it could just be the photo, but they don't look good. Worst case would be a redrawn wheel and a missing date-window bezel. Or maybe it's just a bad photo and everything's fine.

Syrte and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 17, 2018

From the one photo, it looks good, with the possible exception of the crown. Is it signed?

Also, is it a screw-back case?

WatchVaultNYC and Dan S like this.
  4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 17, 2018

WatchVaultNYC and Dan S like this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Jul 17, 2018

Seller says 35mm. Crown is signed. Caseback says 10932 but is very faint so I could be wrong. web search on that model turns up nothing
    un  cb.jpg

6. michael22 Jul 17, 2018

I have had good luck with stuck case backs. Usually means idiots can't open it for a poke around.

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 17, 2018

Screw-backs are typically better at protecting movements from the elements, so cautious optimism is warranted.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  8. WatchVaultNYC Aug 21, 2018

Well it's arrived. I had someone at the office take a pic of it for me, but unfortunately it's worse than the seller photos (the new pix I mean)! I should be able to get my hands on it tomorrow or thereabouts. But from this it looks like there is something seriously wrong with that date wheel

un warehouse.jpg

Edited Aug 21, 2018
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 21, 2018

It may be just horrible refraction from that hideous cyclops.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. WatchVaultNYC Aug 23, 2018

Well here it is - its such a handsome watch in the flesh. It's 35mm, but the case has such long and languid lugs, and the crown is large so it wears a bit bigger. If I can compare it to anything, it feels like a flatter Ingenieur. Case is very sharp, dial is clean and the indices really protrude from the dial for a 3D effect, like a Seamaster Cosmic. Crystal has scratches and there's that staining on the crystal around the cyclops. The date wheel itself looks to be in good shape.

Better than expected is that it actually runs and sets. But timekeeping is totally shot. This goes to the watchmaker right away. I'll see you in a few months!

[​IMG]

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 23, 2018

The dial looks really nice with a creamy patina. How about a wrist shot before it goes off?

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 23, 2018

Is the date surround OK, or is that just gunk around the cyclops?
    gatorcpa

13. WatchVaultNYC Aug 23, 2018

its gunk around the cyclops

14. WatchVaultNYC Aug 23, 2018

Dem lugs make this 35mm wear real big

un wrist.jpg

Syrte likes this.