Forums Latest Members

Ulysse nardin diver authenticity question.

1. EdtheAussie Sep 17, 2017

Hi guys,

Saw this for offer and was wondering if anyone on the forum had an idea about authenticity? as I know next to nothing about these. The only reason i am attracted to it is the hands, as UN have released the new LeLoce Diver which is a homage to their vintage divers and a vintage piece might be more within the budget!

On to the pictures.
    upload_2017-9-17_22-5-4.png
    upload_2017-9-17_22-5-24.png
    upload_2017-9-17_22-5-42.png

I don't too much about calibers of Ulysse Nardin so am stumped, but the movement looks well finished (the perlage), however the case back doesn't look like it belongs on a diver, and the case is not similar to other divers from UN I could find from the 1960's (seen below)

upload_2017-9-17_22-11-19.png

To be honest depending how much the seller wants, i'm probably not worried too much if it is a frakenwatch, but I guess i would just like some clarification (if able :) ) on what i may be purchasing.

Thanks,
    Edwin

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 17, 2017

A high percentage of vintage UN "divers" on the market are fake, by which I mean put-together from various parts of other watches, some of which may be genuine. The vast majority emanate from South America, and Argentina in particular.

The one that you show may actually be original, and clearly some of the parts (at least) are genuine UN. Bear in mind, though, that UN didn't focus on dive watches, so there aren't many genuine ones circulating in the market. Very few, in fact.

Regards,

Tony C.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 17, 2017

As TonyC said one of the most faked or frankened brands. ( for some reason ) Would luv one for my no date mixed brand theme but don't go near them after a fair bit of looking over the years

EdtheAussie likes this.
  4. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 17, 2017

Popular high-end brand especially in the Asian market. Use of ebauches in their vintages generally mean you're paying for the name really....

EdtheAussie likes this.