Forums Latest Members
  1. hermes4 Jan 31, 2017

So I took the plunge and got this baby.

I'm being told by some sources that this is the real deal however some other sources are disputing this... is a Franken

Some expert input needed...

IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0640.JPG
    Edited Feb 1, 2017
    Freshprince357 and Lukeeesteve like this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 31, 2017

More importantly its dial has been refinished. As evidenced clearly by blunt edges on the subdials, lower subdial edge overrunning the number "30", blotchy numerals on the tachy track, thick and uneven script on the "Ulysse Nardin" signature.
    Hope it was cheap or can be returned, or that you like it a lot and will enjoy it as is.
    Most collectors shun refinished dials so reselling it may be difficult if you were to tire of it-- value is reduced to parts.

Tony C., Larry S, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jan 31, 2017

I'm curious - what attracted you to this particular specimen?

I have no knowledge of UN, but can easily tell that the case is heavily polished and the dial a horrible redial.

hermes4 likes this.
  4. hermes4 Feb 1, 2017

I don't know - I was just attracted to it... and was advised by someone to get it.

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 1, 2017

The fact you like it is what's most important but that person gave you bad advice. Everyone here would have advised to take your time to learn until you find better, ie a chronograph you like with an original dial.
    Your best course of action remains to try and return it for a refund. If the seller cares about their reputation and did not disclose the fact the dial is refinished they should take it back for failing to disclose a critical piece of info about the item.

Edit/ add- maybe you should post here the name of the seller?

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    hermes4 and Larry S like this.
  6. Lukeeesteve Feb 1, 2017

Wasn't me!

Seriously though.. someone told me to only buy a watch if you like it. That way if you can't resell it for what you think it's worth, at lest you still have a watch you like.

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 1, 2017

Is anyone saying the OP should buy a watch he doesn't like? No.
    You need both: you need to like the watch, and you need to do your utmost to be able to resell if some day your taste changes or you want to do something else with the cash.

hermes4 and Larry S like this.
  8. Lukeeesteve Feb 1, 2017

OP might not. But I've personally been guilty in the past. ....

Then 2nd go around I think perhaps i might fall in love with it....

On the other of the spectrum, I have watches that are of no value to anyone else but me. Yet I love them more than some of my higher priced time pieces.

Edited Feb 1, 2017
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 1, 2017

Not much to add. There are buyers who just want a cool old watch and then there is us. I'd return it if you can.

If the seller says no...NAME AND SHAME.

Also if the latter is the case and it didn't cost much, then you have a cool old watch and have paid your noob tax. (we all have)

hermes4, Lukeeesteve and Syrte like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 1, 2017

I bet many people have done that at times... including myself. I've spent to restore watches that are definitely worth half as much as they ultimately cost.

Everyone make those kind of choices based on their own abilities....
    For me those were women's watches so labor costs quickly exceeded the actual market price of the watch.

Lukeeesteve and Larry S like this.
  11. Lukeeesteve Feb 1, 2017

N
    If you already haven't...my vote is to get you broken in to trying a larger sized watch..... or....that said, there are some cool vintage men's watches that are considered women's sized by today's standard

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 1, 2017

Ha ha ha, I'm totally broken in :D (way into the deep end)
    But for those men's watches, repair costs were worth the expense because the watches are worth more.

Larry S likes this.
  13. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 1, 2017

Nice movement 22 but that dial is a real mess its visibly ugly... If you want we could do a better dial than that...

hermes4 likes this.
  14. SeanO Feb 16, 2017

the vintage UN market is full of alligators and sharks. most people don't go swimming in that particular pond without years of research and a fairy godperson steering them in the right direction.

15. hermes4 Feb 16, 2017

Thanks guys... I finally got the watch returned! And got my money back sans the shipping fee...

However I would like to name and shame someone who "persuaded" and coaxed me into buying this watch...

I relied on his expertise and professionalism and he led me into this mess...

He owns various watch forums on Facebook and I thought he was an "expert" till a group of people on another forum helped me verify the authenticity of the watch...

Larry S and Syrte like this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 16, 2017

Sounds true for most vintage watches these days... except for some of them the financial risk is lower.

@hermes4, congrats on getting your refund! Take your time to learn and read up on things you like.

hermes4 likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 16, 2017

Hang here and learn @hermes4 . I give thanks everyday for the guardian angels and subject matter experts I've met on OF.

hermes4 likes this.
  18. hermes4 Feb 18, 2017

Thank you all for the collective guidance and support! :)