Forums Latest Members

Ultrasonic Cleaners ... Your Take

1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Jan 3, 2015

How many of your folks here have a ultrasonic cleaners?
    I see them ranging from 30$ to 300$.
    for cleaning bracelets alone is it a viable option? does it really make a difference?

generally speaking from experience to clean any jewellery we generally use the below natural soap with a tooth brush.. does ultrasonic cleaner yield better results ?
    upload_2015-1-3_10-24-0.jpeg

2. Shem Jan 3, 2015

The Omega Boutiques use ultrasonic cleaners on bracelets. Their results are perhaps very slightly better than what I accomplish with Veraet, water, and a soft brush, but it'd be splitting hairs. Not sure it's worth the expense. Perhaps others who use them will chime in. :)

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 3, 2015

I use one like this one and saved me thousands as every time i pull it out the boss does her jewelry and shines it like new:whistling:
    ultrasonic.jpg

They are great, dont bother with the battery ones at a jewelry store as you will not fit most bracelets and they dont last that long
    $109 i think it was

4. ICONO Jan 3, 2015

I have a £20 / $30 Ultrasonic Cleaner purchased from Lidl ( A German discount Supermarket in the UK )

I use it for all the vintage Omega 1171 / Rice Grain Bracelets, I buy

Add some warm water, & a few drops of Washing liquid

It is frankly brilliant - Far, far better than a toothbrush - You see decades of human grime, & air borne filth, evacuate in minutes

The bracelets come up almost 'like new', with no trace of their former owner's deposits

A small cheap Ultrasonic cleaner, is a very sound investment

yande, Geo!, HeuerLoon and 2 others like this.
  5. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Jan 3, 2015

Is there a preferred brand ?

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 3, 2015

Totally agree with @ICONO I have a cheapie from Aldi, served me well for many years. Warm water and a couple of drops detergent and scary when you see the colour of the water afterwards.

HeuerLoon, Northernman and JohnSteed like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 3, 2015

A toothbrush and soap or some cleaner like Veraet will never equal what a proper ultrasonic cleaner can do to remove dirt from a bracelet. The ultrasonic will remove dirt you can't see or get at using a toothbrush.

For home use, you don't need to buy an expensive one as you won't be using it constantly like what happens in a shop environment. Heater is not essential for just removing regular dirt, but can be handy to help remove polishing compound after refinishing.

Of course I would recommend removing the bracelet from the watch, and don't put the watch head in the cleaner. Ideally you want the part suspended in the tank, not laying on the bottom. I have used a variety of cleaners in my tank, and Mr. Clean works well if you already have some at home. I don't really measure, just pour some Mr. Clean in the tank, and then fill with water.

Make sure you don't overfill it (there are usually min/max lines in the tank) as if water comes over the edge and goes down beside the stainless tank section, it can damage the electronics. Don't run it empty of course, and don't stick you hand in when it's running - if you have a unit with any power at all it won't be pleasant.

Cheers, Al

Tekashi_145.022, yande and sumerian like this.
  8. Hijak Jan 3, 2015

That's a nice way of putting it Al..."it won't be pleasant.":eek:

9. Mothra Jan 3, 2015

I know this says more about me than I'd like, but I wouldn't bet against curiosity working at me until I have to fire this up tomorrow and try it.

+1 for a cheap one - you can see the dirt exploding off stuff. I have friends who ask me to run their jewellery through whenever they are over.

OmegaRookie likes this.
  10. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Jan 3, 2015

Thanks Al
    For the detaiked info.
    Any recommended ultra sonic cleaners ?

11. KIMBER Jan 3, 2015

I have used ultra sonic cleaners for 5 years now with mixed results. I have a few hobbies which require intense cleaning at least once a week.I started out with Amazon bought units. They worked great at first but I feel I use them too much for them to handle. I finally decided it was time to get real and buy a lab grade unit from Elma. More than what I need but it will perform for years! I would recommend to all to never put anything on the bottom of the tank. Either use a basket or suspend with something like wire.

12. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Jan 3, 2015

whats the problem with putting it on the bottom.

13. KIMBER Jan 3, 2015

There are transducers that are epoxied to the bottom[under side] of the tank which can become detached. Making it useless.

Edited Jan 3, 2015
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 3, 2015

Scratch the shite out of everything

15. repoman Jan 3, 2015

Love my cheapy Ultrasonic, the goo that comes off bracelets is amazing, even when they look clean.

16. NT931 Jan 4, 2015

I never thought of getting one but now I'm curious! So it sounds like most of the 'proper' ones are the cleaners that run off a wall power supply. Has anyone tried the battery or USB operated ones like thesePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 4, 2015

L&R, Elma, even some of the better GemOro units are okay. But as quality goes up, so does the price.

Another option for cleaning is a team unit, but again those can be pricey.

Cheers, Al

NT931 and sumerian like this.
  18. yande Feb 26, 2015

I just bought an Ultra Sonic Cleaner unit off EBay that is compatible to our 240 volts here in Australia. Arrived today.
    I'm not cleaning movements, just bracelets and rings...

Back up... I have had a problem this summer, whilst wearing my Omegas on bracelet, at the end of a hot day, I would literally, end up with a Black metallic stain all around my wrist. Sure, I have done the toothbrush, soap treatment whilst in the shower, but that never seemed to solve the issue in the long run, and I often thought that that compounded the problem. As in, soaps....

My Ultra Sonic cleaner arrived today, ($AUD58.00) and I am amazed at how much gunk ended up in the bottom of the sink, after I placed a couple of my Omega Bracelets in there! I then also tossed my wife's rings in also, and they came out a treat.

It's a pity I did not take pics, but bottom line... If you have a couple of watches on bracelets, and a wife with a couple of rings, The Ultra Sonic Cleaner is a great investment.. Personally, I place it next to a spring bar tool!

Definitely a tool to add to your kit.

Edited Feb 26, 2015
    Archer likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2015

Now I'm actually really curious as to what it feels like

20. redpcar Feb 26, 2015

Feels like thousands of needles poking into your skin. Hobbyists also use these for removing flesh from bones for their skeletal statues.

yande likes this.