Forums Latest Members

Ultra Chron Pulsus Date at 6... one for Steve Martin

1. dragoman Sep 23, 2015

Once I saw this,

[​IMG]

and I liked it a lot. A jaw-dropping lot.

So when I saw this,

[​IMG]
    I couldn't resist.

But, on second thoughts, an Ultra Chron with date at six??

2. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2015

Longines made date windows at 12, 3, 4:30 and 6.

dragoman likes this.
  3. dragoman Sep 23, 2015

Yes, Dennis, I know... even at a funny 3 place

... but Ultra Chrons (431 and 6641) supposedly only have them at 3 and 4:30, if I am not wrong. At least, I have never seen an Ultra Chron with date at 6.

And being the new owner of that dial, I would prefer that the one wrong here is me, and not the dial...

[edited to add:]

... but of course, I have done, again, my trademark trick: researching after the fact (or the f*ck, depending on how you consider buying a nice dial for a movement that does not exist).

Apparently, there are Longines Admiral MD watches

[​IMG]

Corum Quartz MD watches

[​IMG]

Russian Raketa MD watches

[​IMG]

Even Omega Seamaster MD watches

[​IMG]

But I have not been able to find a single frigging Ultra Chron MD watch in the whole internet...

... or an Ultra Chron with date at six.

Which begs the question, who would make an otherwise apparently legitimate Longines dial, for a movement that just does not exist?? And why?

Edited Sep 23, 2015
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 23, 2015

Looks good to me. I think I remember seeing a special catalog for medical professionals from one of the major companies online at one point. There were several special dials including some for chronographs.

It would not be a big deal for Longines to have date rings made for the 431/6651 to accommodate the date window at 6. If you could find one, it should be quick work for a watchmaker to swap it out for you. I vote original and correct.

Good luck finding that date ring.
    gatorcpa

dragoman likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2015

You're overthinking it - the dial you bought is authentic. U-C Medicus aren't very common to begin with, and even less so with the date at 6. As gator mentions, those watches are out there, just not readily found. The few that were made are probably still kept within the family.

6. dragoman Sep 23, 2015

Thanks, gator and Dennis, that settles it.

Off to find a date ring...

7. TNTwatch Sep 23, 2015

Date ring on non-complicated movement just goes around near the circumference of the movement, so the date window can be placed anywhere along the 360 degree 'round the clock, of course with the correctly printed date ring...;)

8. dragoman Sep 24, 2015

Yes, I know, and that's why we see 19 ASD with the date at a funny place, and why we can see 29X with date at 12 - 3, and 34X with date at 12 - 3 - 6. It is just a matter of printing the numbers so they match the window.

But so far I have just see 431 with date at 3 and at 4:30 (which uses the same date disk), so if Longines only made a few date at 6 date disks for the 431 I will probably have to go the Aldo way.

Which would a bit over the top for something as mundane as a date disk. Though I would have bragging rights about a truly Dr. Franken watch. [​IMG]

9. TNTwatch Sep 24, 2015

Just a few minutes of googling showed me a whole watch with exactly the same dial as yours, no movement detail though. But I don't want to spoil the fun, so just keep on with the hunt and let us know when you get the trophy. :)

10. dragoman Sep 24, 2015

And would you be so kind as to give me a hint about what to google??

I have run out of ideas.:thumbsup:

11. TNTwatch Sep 24, 2015

What did you search for? It's right there near the top if you look at the right place. It's so easy, it won't be fun anymore...:)

khmt2 likes this.
  12. dragoman Sep 24, 2015

Ultra chron pulsus
    ad XV pulsus
    Longines medical
    Longines pulsations
    Longines pulsometer
    MD Longines
    Doctor Longines
    Longines Medicus
    Medicus Watch...

... and...

431 date at 6 / six
    6641 date at 6 / six
    Longines date at six / 6
    Ultra Chron date at six / 6

[​IMG]

I actually feel a bit stupid, because I think I have tried several times the same search... to no avail.

13. TNTwatch Sep 24, 2015

I just used the last one which is the most obvious, but you'd have to look at the right place...;)