Forums Latest Members
  1. RodenStreet Feb 11, 2014

Hi there :)

About three weeks ago I received and started wearing a Geneve 166.070 caliber 565 bought on here which I'm really happy with. (Sale thread here http://omegaforums.net/threads/omeg...less-steel-–-dark-blue-dial-caliber-565.9623/)

Yesterday evening though I noticed the watch stopped while I was wearing it. I hadn't had a very active couple of days so I wasn't concerned, I just wound it a few times and put it back on. Today I had the watch close to my ear while watching tv and I think I noticed it make a peculiar sound when I moved, sort of like a grinding, but not too obvious. So I shook it a couple of times to hear it again, and then the watch stopped straight away and wouldn't even start by winding (winding actually feels quite stiff and difficult).

I then thought it was broken completely, but after a few minutes I shook it again and it came back to life and is ticking away.

I was planning on getting the watch serviced in the next few months but now I am obviously keen to get this done sooner - can any UK members of the forum give me any recommendations of reputable places to get this done? I live in Somerset, in the southwest.

Also, as it seems there might be some sort of problem with it, could anyone tell me any ways of telling if it's broken? I haven't got tools to open it so anything I could deduce from the sound it makes, or if I should be able to hear any sound from the watch when moving it?

Sorry for the long post. I'd be grateful for any help :)

Thanks

2. Habitant Feb 11, 2014

Down your way: http://watchguy.co.uk/

Frequently mentioned in despatches, based in London is stefan, a member of this forum.

3. John R Smith Feb 11, 2014

Your watch is in trouble. The cal 565 is a very robust and well-made movement, and it should certainly not make any sort of odd noises or stop running without good cause. Do not continue to wear and use it, but get it to a good watchmaker as soon as possible.

Can we just have a little digression here? No watch appreciates being shaken, not even automatics. Once you understand just how an automatic works, you will realise that shaking it like a terrier shakes a rat is not actually the way to wind it. Hold the watch vertically between fingers and thumb, and gently rock it from side to side. If an automatic does not come to life after a dozen rocking motions, something is badly wrong.

4. RodenStreet Feb 11, 2014

Sure, I understand. I shook it gently to hear the noise as I was concerned.

I am going to send it off to someone the seller has recommended, so hopefully I will find out soon what the problem is.

5. RodenStreet Feb 11, 2014

Also thanks for the recommendations for the service!