Forums Latest Members

UK High St AD's Offering Huge Discounts

1. Calstock Sep 23, 2018

I'm new to this forum and although I've been collecting watches for 20+ years, I'm only just now about to buy my first "luxury watch". I don't want to go grey market so I'm pleased to notice several High St, UK based AD's offering huge discounts on Omega watches. Many discounted by at least a grand and some models by near £2.5k.

The Speedmaster(s) I'm interested in aren't in any sale I've seen so far, but I'm hoping it bodes well for a good negotiation when I buy my watch in around 2 week's time.

I wonder if you guys who have been in the market for new Omega's for a lot longer than I have consider this to be a new development, or have Omega's been heavily discounted by the Approved Dealers, (openly in sales), on a long term basis? I'm only singling out Omega as this is an Omega forum and the brand I'm interested in.

I was also wondering whether this discounting might be of interest to any prospective UK buyers or whether you might say, "this is totally old news and something that happens all the time".

I've added a couple of links to the sales I'm talking about below for information only. You can see from the links that this is not some lame "affilliation" trick, but purely to highlight a possible bargain for anyone considering a purchase in the near future. By all means delete the links if they breach forum rules.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/SALE...pe_Watches/Show_Page/Sort_relevance/Psize_48/

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/sale/watch-sale/luxury-watch-offers.html?FSM_brand=Omega&limit=96

2. amiga500 Sep 23, 2018

Some very good deals there. Thanks for sharing

3. jimmyd13 Sep 23, 2018

No Speedmasters? There's a DSOTM for £6800 and a Grey on the second link. I wonder if they're offering overseas postage too? There'd be no duty inside the EU; outside you'd have to pay customs but would claim back the VAT (so a further 20% off). On top of that, the £ took a hit this week and I'm not sure if it's recovered yet.

4. wristpirate Sep 23, 2018

If you struggle negotiating on the high street, then buy in an airport instead. You will get VAT off (works out as 16.67% off the list price)

5. tyrantlizardrex Sep 23, 2018

This is going to be stock they're struggling to shift, and now need off the books... hence some of the weird and wonderful when you open the searches to other brands. ;)

6. jimmyd13 Sep 23, 2018

So ... let me see if I have this straight: the stock that they haven't managed to sell for the full recommended retail; that they've had on the shelf for a few years ... they, put that on sale at a lower price?

Damn, I wish I'd taken marketing at university!

;)

7. ICONO Sep 23, 2018

Just imagine the jump the Pound would make, with a successful ‘Second Referendum’ reversal ?

8. jimmyd13 Sep 23, 2018

Don't make me sad on a Sunday morning (shit, it's afternoon already .... I've been sat here for hours cataloguing and finding parts). Unfortunately imagining is all I can do about that. Too many factions, for too many reasons (though all about trying to gain more power for themselves) are set on leaving the EU and the referendum gave them the ability to do that. There's no way on earth that the people will be given a second chance to correct this madness.

The opposition leaders don't want to remain, even though the bulk of the PPL would appear to, but for totally different reasons that the Conservative leadership (which are different reasons that those of the Conservative party). Understand, it's a shitstorm here with everyone pulling in a different direction. There will be no consensus. Even if a deal is struck with the rump of the EU, there's no promise that deal will be accepted by Parliament. If and when Parliament are given a choice of any deal or to revert to WTO my guess is that the deal will squeak through with the slightest of majorities. You'll be seeing MPs wheeled in from hospitals and women days from childbirth all being forced to vote because the pairing agreements are on hold. The only ones enjoying this are the political cartoonists and those comedians with a Radio 4 contract.

I'm going to go back to this little gold Rone with a worn stem ....

9. ConElPueblo Sep 23, 2018

Funny how the 44mm White Ceramic Speedmaster suddenly is a "Ladies White Side of The Moon", just because it's... White.

If I had silly money, one of those - perhaps with a diamond bezel - would be on my wrist. Completely ridiculous, completely cool.

10. Calstock Sep 23, 2018

I just meant the specific 2 Speedy's I'm considering aren't listed, not Speedmaster's in general. The two I'm debating between are shown below. I tried both on in a London Boutique a month ago and the pictures, although good, really don't do them justice in regards to quality you feel when you try them on, (not news to many watch enthusiasts I'm sure).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tyrantlizardrex Sep 23, 2018

Hey, you’re the one who said “No Speedmasters?” ;)

And for the record, I have a design degree. And the crayons to prove it. :p

jimmyd13 likes this.