Forums Latest Members
  1. ewand Dec 2, 2018

Just back from the Brunel University Clock & Watch fair (http://clockandwatchfairs.com/ - nice to see @Bahnstormer, @neilfrancis and James V too.

For those in the UK that haven't been, imagine a university sports hall with about 80 stalls laden with all kinds of stuff. Many are watch traders who arrive with a couple of boxes of watches, and there are lots of stalls selling bits to repair clocks etc.

Does anyone fancy chipping in for a stall? It's about £70 but it means you get in earlier than the 9am start so could have a good swing around to see if there's anything worthwhile before the riff raff arrive. Also, if we each brought along a handful of things we'd be prepared to sell, I'm sure the overall quality would be better than most of the traders' wares...

2. Nathan1967 Dec 2, 2018

Sounds like a good strategy! I’m interested. This time next year...

Do you the date of the next fair?

Do you have any pictures of the stalls stuff being sold?

Cheers

Nathan

WhatYourWatchSay and Just Livin like this.
  3. jimmyd13 Dec 2, 2018

@ewand - where and when are you thinking?

4. ICONO Dec 2, 2018

Definitely interested in joint venture

Have a stack of Seamasters & Longines, to clear out of the safe....maybe a lot more

Keep me posted please

nonuffinkbloke and ewand like this.
  5. ewand Dec 2, 2018

Thinking about March in the Midlands, as that's always a bigger event...

Nathan1967 likes this.
  6. Gaz6263 Dec 2, 2018

I went and having been going for years, was pleasantly surprised at how busy it was. Traded a Heuer, I wasn’t wearing, for a couple of other watches with Nicki on the military watch stall. Also had a chat with Alex (Dablitzer), who had a stall. Say what you will about him but his stall had some cracking pieces.

Just Livin and Nathan1967 like this.
  7. CPRwatch Dec 2, 2018

I could be interested in this , haven't got much to get rid off but will happily assist on the stall . I usually go to the fairs at the national motorcycle museum .

ewand likes this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 2, 2018

I normally go to the Midlands one which is noticeably bigger than the Brunel fair. While I am not in a disposal mode at present, would love to meet fellow forumites so LMK if you do take a stand. It moved recently from the Motorcycle Museum to Ryton in Coventry which is less convenient bit still easier than Brunel.

These are great events, I have bought several very nice pieces at very reasonsble prices.

Edited Dec 2, 2018
    ewand likes this.
  9. neilfrancis Dec 2, 2018

We're gonna need a bigger table...

10. ewand Dec 2, 2018

Schedule for next year …
    2018_12_02 19_25 Office Lens.jpg

@jimmyd13 I wonder if it's worth getting a stall for the March 10th fair?
    @Nathan1967 Check out the Gallery on http://clockandwatchfairs.com/ for pics of the kind of thing on display

TBH, there's a lot of crap up for sale - quite obvious frankens, fakes, over-polished PoS, stuff that's just knackered (I tried a Seiko Bell-matic out today whose alarm was kaput, and looked at a Seiko World Time that was missing the world-time hand and the bezel didn't rotate). So, there's a load of stuff sold there which will need immediate action in order to get it right... but there are diamonds in the rough.

I reckon if we collaborated we could maybe get one or even two stalls (@neilfrancis I like yer thinkin), bring along 10 watches each that we'd be prepared to sell (for a sensible price, obvs) and if we each chipped in £10 or £15 even if we didn't sell anything it'd still be an OK morning out...

11. CPRwatch Dec 2, 2018

We may need two at this rate .

12. ewand Dec 2, 2018

Previous catches for me at the Brunel or Midlands fair...

NOS Heuer Silverstone bracelet - £250
    upload_2018-12-2_19-39-11.png

Heuer Carrera reissue - £1300
    20180408_172248.jpg

nonuffinkbloke and MRC like this.
  13. jimmyd13 Dec 2, 2018

I'd certainly be interested in any of the fairs around the Midlands

14. Nathan1967 Dec 2, 2018

Sounds like it could be great fun! I’m in for March, let’s give it a whirl!:thumbsup:

15. neilfrancis Dec 2, 2018

CV8 3FL is a fair drive and likely requires an overnight for me, and maybe for most based in/near London.

But we could make a semi-weekend of it.. have GTG on Saturday night somewhere...pub, fish & chips.

Brunel, obvs more convenient for London. I'd be in for December.

April date a clash with the Ronde Van Vlaanderen. And nothing, other than Paris-Roubaix, trumps RVV for my springtime Sunday attention.

Maybe we should set up a WhatsApp Group for all interested? To liaise on locations, dates, etc.

16. ewand Dec 2, 2018

Good idea, Neil. I'll set it up … anyone who wants in, ping me your name and mobile via PM and I'll add you

17. jimmyd13 Dec 2, 2018

Neil, I have an old friend lives in Leamington and commutes to London by train a couple of times a week. It's not an hour, if I remember correctly.

18. neilfrancis Dec 2, 2018

For an 8 am start, I'd wanna be about 2 minutes away...:)
    I am over an hour away from any London station with trains going that way, maybe more at 0700 on a sunday.
    Plus... it's the GTG, beer, etc with OF'ers that's the main event ... in some ways.

19. jimmyd13 Dec 2, 2018

Fully understand ;)

Anyway, I can always pull together 10 or 20 watches that I'd part with for the right price (and those prices aren't greedy). It puts more in the kitty to buy the next one.

neilfrancis likes this.
  20. ewand Dec 2, 2018

That's a great idea, to have a GTG nearby. Time4SeveralPints :)

There's a decent hotel not far away, that I've stayed at before when I organised a cycling event - could be a starter for 10

Edited Dec 2, 2018