Forums Latest Members
  1. kreyke Feb 8, 2018

Hello OF!

Made a gamble on eBay and purchased this watch despite terrible photos. I bought it for the case and I am still intending to use it as a parts watch. I am just wondering if the dial is a redial?

I’ve asked several collectors privately and I’ve gotten mixed response so I’m posting here hoping to see what other members think?

I am leaning towards redial but I have the habit to overscrutinize.

1) font appears faded or untidy. I am not sure which is it.

2) Universal Genève appears more widely spaced than usual.

3) telemeter track is missing, possibly cleaned off.

4) minute track looks ok and centred to me.

What do you guys think? I will try and post some loupe photos. I have searched online and I’ve seen several examples with this subdial layout (dash below each number and “5” and “10” printed on the dial)

84DD548F-D32C-48A0-AFEE-3FD02096B947.jpeg 9A3D6354-D166-42AA-8CF1-A3B3B3C0C4D9.jpeg 19B620F5-E3B6-4D2E-8CF8-F77F2D8CA42D.jpeg
  2. rustynuts Feb 8, 2018

You outbid me on it. Seller provided some photos of the movement if you've not already had a look (or received the same). I thought the dial looked harshly cleaned rather than reprinted. Case and movement look pretty decent though

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Edited Feb 8, 2018
  3. kreyke Feb 8, 2018

Yeah. I was wondering if it’s been harshly cleaned or a redial as well. Thanks for the additional photos.

4. kreyke Mar 2, 2018

Anyone else would kindly weigh in on this before I decide to condemn this dial? Appreciate any opinions! :)

5. 10H10 Mar 2, 2018

Hi,
    I like the watch but IMHO it looks like a scale was erased (the outer one, probably tachymètre) in a "amateur cleaning attempt", the "void" doesn't seems very aesthetic to me, thus not "Universal Genève" at all...
    Actually, long time ago, in my various experiments :), I've tryed to clean a movado calendar dial with a damp cloth, the result was excellent, except that the whole outer scale was gone ! :eek:, I guess, the same magic trick happened here :D !

Edited Mar 2, 2018
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 2, 2018

+1 ... original dial sadly ham handed clean up.... what a clean dial should look like.
    IMG_1103.JPG

Flatfoot and 10H10 like this.
  7. Flatfoot Mar 2, 2018

Agree that this is a true UG dial. Flat top "A"in Universal looks right and the subdial fonts and printing is straight and true, but washed out Also agree that it was scrubbed rather than cleaned.

The interesting Printing of "Astrija" & "Torino" just above the Uni-Compax would, I assume, refer to an Italian Jeweler as being the original seller. With such a large portion of the aesthetic value of a watch revolving around the condition of the dial, it is sad to see that history slipping away.

Since you bought it assuming it a parts watch, I assume you will be searching for an appropriate dial for a removal and replacement.

8. Flatfoot Mar 2, 2018

Having said all that, if you don't have an immediate home for the case and/or parts within, then I believe I'd leave it just as it is and wear it. The passage of a year or two may give you some time to develop a perspective on how you may then want to proceed.

My first Compax has a well-weathered dial, and it is still rather pleasing overall.

Larry S likes this.
  9. kreyke Mar 2, 2018

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I guess even though it’s original, it’s not worth much. I did buy it for a scavenging it as we speak.

Appreciate it again guys! Have a good weekend!

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 2, 2018

Careful on the not worth much thing. Find a nice dial and the game changes.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 2, 2018

I must count myself fortunate to have a source who has connected me with three pristine UNI. One 35 mm and Two RG 37mm. Ever time I try to say "well you don't need three" I just can't do it. Love em all.

Carlton-Browne likes this.
  12. kreyke Mar 3, 2018

Stop hogging them dials!!!

Larry S likes this.