Forums Latest Members

UG tricompax chrono hand question.

1. kreyke Mar 3, 2018

Hello OF,

I have recently purchased this tri compax a few months ago and I didn’t notice that it has a different chrono end until one of the sharp eye collector pointed it out to me.

Comparing it to other chrono hands, it appears more spade shape as compared to the other chronograph hands I have on compaxes which are more oval.

I do not have the sala book on hand but I’ll search through when I get home on Monday. For now, I hope to get some opinions on this.

Picture of the hand ED579A6E-610E-4FD0-8326-24CBCBB08DD6.jpeg

billving and isnardi like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 3, 2018

Contre Poid is the term as discussed recently. I’ve seen the oval and the arrow shape in the book .. not certain I’ve seen the spade. Doesn’t look out of place though.

3. bgrisso Mar 3, 2018

i just checked my collection, I don't see that particular style, but that doesn't mean there are no variations. I wouldn't have noticed yours unless someone pointed it out to me

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 3, 2018

This is what I’m calling oval . Teardrop perhaps.

5. bgrisso Mar 3, 2018

lol yah sorry, i just deleted and edited because I realized it wasn't addressing the OPs question.....

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 3, 2018

To me this is an interesting discussion. Seems we resolved the Arrow Contre Poid issue recently, or at least I think we did. Would be interesting to see if anyone has a chart of UG hands.

7. Florent Mar 3, 2018

Just checked the archives and others pics again. The only time I saw this hand is on your watch.

I suggest this is wrong.

They is a few variants for very early compur and late 1960' chrono ... But this shape is not documented

Larry S likes this.
  8. kreyke Mar 3, 2018

Yeah. The colour and condition matches the subdial hands as well. Seller mentioned that his watchmaker said it fits well and he did not notice any problem fitting it during the overhaul.

Had to google what contre poid is but yes, that’s the part I’m referring to.

Another observation I have made is that this contre poid shape is seen on mido multicenter chronographs as well. Not that it adds much to the discussion but I’m wondering if anyone else sees this style anywhere else?