Forums Latest Members
  1. MichaelBH Jan 22, 2015

All,

I am new to the forums but have been actively monitoring. I was hoping you may be able to help me out with a watch. I believe it is a c. 1940's tri-compax (37mm?). I am waiting on additional photos of the movement and case back to verify its originality but does this look to be a real dial? From the examples I have seen it looks pretty good, however the words tri-compax appear to be wider across the dial than other examples and the outer tachymetre markings seem almost too crisp. Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Michael

unnamed.jpg
  2. ELV web Jan 22, 2015

Sub second hands a replacement. Dial looks like a very good redial to me but need clearer picture. Reason to say that is the uneven ink in many places. Universal font a bit thick and tri-compax not align but I am not sure as the picture quality is not that good. Other folks will sure jam in.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 22, 2015

Agree with ELV. Redial for the reasons stated.

4. woodwkr2 Jan 22, 2015

Agree, as above.

5. MichaelBH Jan 22, 2015

thanks guys, really appreciate the input

6. MichaelBH Jan 25, 2015

If the watch is the right price, and the rest is original, is it worth picking up and looking for an original replacement dial? Or is it better to hold off for a fully original?

7. ELV web Jan 25, 2015

I got one with a transplanted original dial, I think the answer depends on your objective. If you are concerned about the value holding up in the long term then avoid. But If u just like it and you will enjoy it then it is just whether you like it enough or not :)