Forums Latest Members
  1. dantheman3u4i Jan 24, 2019

My latest purchase from eBay a UG Tri-Compax Ref. 22543 has come in. I think it looks far better than how it looked in the pics of the ad. I think the seller (who ended up being a pretty nice guy), was just photographically challenged (like myself). But I would love the experts' opinions.

My thoughts are that the biggest issue are the hands. Obviously, they aren't the same color. I can't imagine that they aged differently in the case, so I presume that one may have been replaced during a service?

Other than that I thought the case is excellent, and the dial is much better than I expected.

Also a few noob questions. The watch came on an 18mm strap. I only own 20mm straps. My understanding is that the tri-compax pretty much all take 19mm straps. Will I be able to fit a 20mm strap on it? Usually, I know that it is an easy fit, but I am not sure with these female spring bars.

Also, is it fine for me to change the date etc... with a toothpick? Any other caretaking advice people can offer so I don't damage the movement?

Thanks all!

IMG_1321.jpg IMG_1322.jpg IMG_1324.jpg IMG_1323.jpg

martinc, wristpirate, Dgercp and 10 others like this.
  2. Oku Jan 24, 2019

Congrats! It is a nice watch!
    Based on your pics, I would not say that the hands have been replaced. Color is different, but it could just be that they came from a different production batch and have aged differently.
    For setting the date: Use an old and empty ball pen. It should fit exactly into the holes so the risk of damaging the mechanism is reduced.
    Also be aware to set the date, month, moon only at six o'clock. Then you should usually be sure that the internal setting mechanism is not in place anymore. Otherwise, you can damage the setting mechanism.

Diabolik, Larry S, gop76 and 2 others like this.
  3. Oku Jan 24, 2019

I don't think that this will look fine.

4. Dan S Jan 24, 2019

Please buy a nice 19mm strap to fit your beautiful $5k watch. ;)

aap likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 24, 2019

Buy a proper strap. Softer the better .. search Dre for how to mount a strap. Color diff on MH hands looks less stark.

Mark020 likes this.
  6. chronoboy64 Jan 24, 2019

Wow, great catch (after it has been actually sold) ! Huge congrats and wear in good health :thumbsup:

7. bgrisso Jan 24, 2019

wow that looks WAY better, big congrats, I think you have a nice purchase! Your picture still sucks, please post a nice natural light photo when you can, with proper color balance. :thumbsup:

I think the hands are orig, they have just aged differently. I find the hour hand a bit ugly. In a perfect world I would color match the hour to the minute. This can be a challenge to get done well. You might find they don't match, and then once you've redone the hour, you end up having to do both. If it were me, I think I would just live with it a few months and see how you feel over time, before doing anything.

Female spring bars are a nightmare. The last thing you want to do is try to fit an oversized strap on them, it's bad enough trying to get 19mm to work. Some straps are much easier than others, it has to do with the materials and construction.

sdre and Larry S like this.
  8. bgrisso Jan 24, 2019

here's a start.............................the color balance OCD demons will not let me go on with my day......

IMG_1321_adj.JPG
    CafeRacer, Mark020, slique12 and 2 others like this.
  9. dantheman3u4i Jan 24, 2019

I've actually gotten pretty solid at changing the straps on the female spring bars ever since I got my Uni-Compax. I use the flat fork end on one of my random strap changing tools. Works wonders. Grips the female spring bar with no problem and with a little pressure they come right off.

Once we have some sunlight here in NYC, I will post some more pictures (hopefully better ones).

I think ultimately the seller's terrible pics resulted in a really low turn out on the bidding. Doesn't really make sense to have a fully working chronograph not returned to zero on an eBay listing. But I can't complain at the end of the day.

Now to just find the right strap combination for me...

Thanks again for all the advice. You guys have saved me from thousands of dollars worth of noob mistakes...

Larry S, bgrisso and airansun like this.
  10. dantheman3u4i Jan 24, 2019

Quick question before I go pressing all the pushers, which one controls what?

11. bgrisso Jan 24, 2019

straight from the horses mouth....

P1010626_adj.jpg
    adam78, Woops, Avav1 and 3 others like this.
  12. dantheman3u4i Jan 24, 2019

My first watch, I actually have to read a manual for.

13. TexOmega Jan 24, 2019

I didn’t read the sellers description, and even if I had, I would get it serviced before poking and prodding a TriCompax. Very expensive to tract down or make replacement parts.

IMHO

Great Example and Enjoy wearing it.

my 22543 on ostrich, a very soft, pliable and durable leather.

22543.JPG

Edited Jan 24, 2019
    airansun, adam78, Dgercp and 7 others like this.
  14. Avav1 Jan 25, 2019

ben - that's awesome, thanks so much. love that grey strap too...

bgrisso likes this.
  15. bgrisso Jan 25, 2019

the original manuals are really nice, I feel lucky to have one....

16. waXology Jan 28, 2019

Also, note that the month disc does NOT advance at the beginning of each month automatically. It needs to be advanced manually each month. No matter who tells you otherwise ;)

17. Diabolik Jan 28, 2019

very nice tri ...

18. dantheman3u4i Feb 15, 2019

I’ve decided I would like to have the hands matched. However, I can’t seem to find someone in NYC area to do the job.

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone that can do it (and well)?

Thanks in advance!

19. Traveler Feb 15, 2019

Those hands are original - that’s how they age ... I would leave as is ...

airansun likes this.
  20. rolokr Feb 15, 2019

Only vintage Felsa TDM and vintage Jaeger Lecoultre TDM, and Rolex Vintage TDM does the month advance.