Forums Latest Members

Ug Tri-compax - For Your Comments Please

1. Sherbie Feb 13, 2013

All,

looking for honest appraisal of my watch - I think I know what its good points and bad points are, but always good to get the experts view on things.

Picked this up last year at a high end vintage and antiques fair, I was approaching a significant mid- life birthday, and even though I was a diehard Omega guy, I was drawn to this, new to me, brand. I deliberated overnight, went home and researchd UG all night - as many members have pointed out, not a lot of information out there on this under appreciated brand. My girlfriend really liked this watch, said it was distinctive, but then ruined it by saying "at least it doesnt look like all your Omega's, which all look the same to me !"

Anyway, I digress, here is some information on the watch itself :
    Case ref = 12554
    Movement number = 1,189,601 - dating it to 1944-5
    18K gold 3 part case, bevel and press fit case back - made by Gindraux SA in La Chaux-de-Fonds (Hammer head 119), early UG wheel logo inside, and Helvetia symbol with c = assayed at La Chaux-de-Fonds.
    Cal 287, 17 jewel movement - immaculate inside (dont have photo at the moment)
    case diameter = 37 mm
    19mm curved down lugs
    leaf hands and dial markers - presumably 18k gold also
    DSC02066 - side view.JPG

DSC02067 - pusher side view.JPG DSC02070 - face 1.JPG DSC02072 - face 2.JPG DSC02082 - rear view.JPG DSC02085 - side view with hallmark.JPG
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 13, 2013

Sherbie,

I think the outstanding aspect of that Tri-Compax is the case. It is not a common one, and it's really crisp. The flash on your camera is harsh and makes it look full of swirlies, but I bet it looks spectacular in reality. I doubt it's been polished - you can still see the hallmark on the side. I do think it's a redial however, based on cut-off date numbers around the moonphase window, the slightly too small subdial printing (although some of the originals look like this as well) and the horizontal 'Tri-Compax' - normally it is curved along the top of the hour subdial - haven't found an exception yet. The hands are original in my opinion.

I imagine it looks quite rich on the wrist - very nice piece - pay no attention to the significant other.

3. Sherbie Feb 14, 2013

Many thanks, good points - I'll try and take some natural light photos this morning and repost - as the harsh flash has rendered this piece almost featureless.

I agree about it being a redial - during my long night of research before purchase, I could only find 1 example of the horizontal tri-compax, and that also looked a redial. The most "annoying" feature in my eyes, are the day and month wheels - they looked to have been touched up by a previous owners young child - not sure what I can do about this, apart from trying to find 2 nos day and month wheels, or buy a donor parts watch.

But, as you mention, the case is in great shape, all the hands are totally original, all the functions work, and it keeps time to within +/- 4 s per day.

Cheers, Paul

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 14, 2013

Paul,

It's not impossible to find a donor dial on the 'bay, should you be inclinded to replace it. You'd likely need to find a whole movement for the Day & MOnth wheels, also not impossible. Like any gold-cased watch model, people have melted the cases for cash over the years and dials & movements pop up periodically. You just have to make sure it's the right diameter, as these came in so many different cases.
    By way of example:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Universal-Ge...rmbanduhren&hash=item4d09796e7a#ht_500wt_1414Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network