Forums Latest Members
  1. ZigZagoon Nov 12, 2019

Hey everyone just picked this baby up today and haven't had it off my wrist ever since. As you can see the pushers are quite worn and I'd like to get it replaced (or if anyone has a spare pusher or 2 to sell that would be great) aha. Anyways, would anyone have any recommendations as to where I can get it replated? Money is not really an issue I just want it to be restored to its former glory.

Thank you!

IMG_20191113_004113[2775].jpg
    Woops likes this.
  2. ZigZagoon Nov 12, 2019

Here's a pic of the pushers I forgot to add sorry

IMG_20191113_004157[2774].jpg
  3. bgrisso Nov 12, 2019

congratulations, that is really nice looking climate proof !!

Those pushers look really worn. I guess you have two options. Try to find original (or close) replacements, or try to replate these. I've done replating in the states, don't have recommendation for Europe. It was about $350 to do a whole case, and really slow.

Anyhow a watch this nice, as you say, time and money is not the issue, just get it done right....

4. Vitezi Nov 12, 2019

Who did you use, and how was the result?

5. bgrisso Nov 12, 2019

I used these guys for a jewelry project, they did a good job:
    https://artisanplating.com/

I used these guys for a chrome replate, came out pretty good:
    https://www.replateit.com/

I used these guys to gold replate a case, crown, bezel, etc, but they just subcontract out the work to other replating shops that you can work with directly, so I don't think there was any point going through them. They were really really slow, like I don't know, 6-9 months, I kept calling them over and over and over and over. Ultimately they did a good job but I would never use them again:
    https://www.watchplating.com/

Vitezi likes this.
  6. ZigZagoon Nov 14, 2019

Would a replate of the watch decrease its value?

7. Vitezi Nov 14, 2019

Value is in the eye of the beholder. ;) There are many collectors who would never replate a watch because a watch is only original once, and originality is prized among vintage watch collectors. I can't tell from the pictures of your watch above, but minor nicks and scratches on the case are better left alone.

In general, I think the "value" of a replated watch depends upon how ratty the case was to begin with, its relative age, and perhaps the function that the watch was designed for.

For example, the value of a 1970s gold-plated dress watch would be greatly diminished by a scratched case. In that scenario, go ahead and replate it. But the value of a beat-up chrome-plated flieger (pilot's watch) from the 1930s is probably enhanced by a badly mauled case, because you can imagine the watch strapped to the gloved wrist of Spitfire pilot in a dogfight over the English Channel (...ok, well, maybe that's just me :rolleyes:)