Forums Latest Members
  1. valjoux72 Jul 14, 2017

Foreword
    Learned a lot on OF over the past years, so greatfull that you folks share you knowledge here!
    For me the best place to share our passion, at least if you can´t met live and in realtime...

A lots of lessons learned:

1. Condition, Condition, Condition... Just buy the very best...
    2. Be careful with goldplated/goldfilled watches, as the watch crowd don´t like gold watches...
    3. If there is an Ebay offer from east europe with zero (0) selling history, who avoids Papypal, just turn away and run fast, as it is a scam for sure...

Yes, I learned my lessons, just made some bad experience with a Longines chrono from Bulgaria, but to be fair had an even bigger loss with this fxxxxing cheat from Paris selling this Jaeger chrono...)

But sometimes you don´t have to run with the herd and have to take a risk! You only live once...

The story
    Universal Geneve is due to its long history and beautiful designs (both movement & cases) one of my favorite brands.
    So of course the Polerouter line with it historic background and this Genta design connection has always been on my short list. Unfortunately I missed some very nice offers here at the sales forum. And I couldn´t decide which one to choose from those Polerouter available on the web, as the price range is so broad and there are so many refinished examples out in the wild.

AND, to be honest, I did not pulled the trigger for a long time, because I have dreamed the dream a lot of you may share. The dream to find an unrecognized first generation Polerouter, a real PolArouter.

So it was short before christmas (!) when I saw some blurry pics of a not working Universal on Ebay. Didn´t look interesting, missleading text but for some inexplicable reason I took a closer look. And there it was, the name who thrills most of us...

Schriftzug ganz.jpg

Broad U and correct writing (thank you Severin for your incredible Polerouter studies!!), everthing as it should be.

No bidding and just ending one day befor christmas! Seller came from eastern Europe, had no sellers history at all and avoided to pay via Paypal.

Seriennummer.jpg

The model number and serial number were visible and in the right range for a Polarouter, just like the early caseback.
    And wait, there was an additional engraving made when the watch was given as a gift (I believe), dating back to August 7th. 1956! Wow!!

back close.jpg

So that would be my "once in the lifetime chance" to fullfill my dream. I don´t know if it was the selling time short before christmas, the misleading description or this "scam alert" thing that hold everybody back from bidding. Sitting together with my family a day before christmas at night, I threw in a last second offer... and WON the auction. A lot of adrenalin was rushing through my blood. Merry christmas!!
    So after christmas I had a short and nice contact with the seller, payed via bank transfer and started waiting. He told me he would ship after new years day. So I started waiting, and waiting...

To make a long (and quite unbelievable story) short, after more than 6 month (!!) the watch has arrived today. I just can believe it!!
    Running for a short time, so balance wheel looks fine, but 138ss movement missing some parts. Some hard work for my watchmaker, but I´m sure she will bring the movement back to live. The goldplated case is hardly worn, but still has well definied lugs.
    All hands are looking original for me, but missing the lume. Unrestored dial is in original condition. Tension ring with broad markers. Not sure about the crown.

So it can´t go any better? Yes, just wait.

To be honest, I´m not hunting these double signed (Türler, Meister, Tiffany etc.) dials. But in this case the Chantilli Joyeros inscription is the top of the icing.

20170714_121319.jpg
    20170714_121412.jpg

So keep in mind, sometimes, with some luck and passion even the biggest dreams will come true!!
    Good luck for all of you!

Edited Sep 8, 2022
    Chrobar, Jwit, levkov and 7 others like this.
  2. Dre Jul 14, 2017

Lovely! What a story, glad that the seller sent the watch to you eventually!

Also love that date engraving at the back, Imma sucker for personal engraving! Definitely an A+ from me ;)

Jwit, Severin and valjoux72 like this.
  3. x3no Jul 14, 2017

Awesome find! So it took 6 months for the seller to ship the watch? Or 6 months for the watch to get to you?

You have the patience of steel. I could not wait like that!

valjoux72 likes this.
  4. valjoux72 Jul 15, 2017

Thanks Dre, thanks x3no,
    just couldn't belive that I would ever get the watch in my hands!
    It really was a crazy story. The watch didn 't arrive, so I tried to mail the seller with no response. Thought that I was scammed, so opened a case at ebay to get the seller banned. I really felt bad as I thought I missed my chance to find my grail watch...
    So five month later I got an handwritten letter from the seller, explaining that the sending was returned and he has gotten serious ill and had to go to hospital for a long time. So I have shot over some extra money for a second try, and this time it worked out fine.
    For sure the longest and taffest sale I have gone through since starting to collect!

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  5. x3no Jul 17, 2017

So wait.. The seller doesn't ship for 5-6 months because of illness, then you get a letter 5 months later (presumably after not getting a refund and after no other correspondence) stating what had happened... Then you send him more money and the watch arrives?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that story sounds a bit odd. ::book:: ::confused2:: But hey, I'm glad you got the watch in the end!

valjoux72 likes this.
  6. valjoux72 Jul 17, 2017

I know, it really sounds a bit crazy. But I have sent only 30€ for shipping, so no big risk. Seller was banned and want to return to ebay, asked for help. Sounded reasonable for me ;)
    As you have said, worked out at the end, so happy end for me:)

7. jumpingsecond Jul 17, 2017

A great hunting story to go along with a great watch!

valjoux72 likes this.
  8. valjoux72 Aug 23, 2017

A 138ss movement in running condition for spares has arrived today, so it is time to bring back the watch to life again.

20170823_144454.jpg

Jonatan and micampe like this.
  9. valjoux72 Aug 30, 2017

My Polarouter is back to life and has had an ultrasonic cleaning (just case).
    I don´t have a 19mm lizard strap right now, so on a JB Champion bracelet at the moment.
    Incredible case design with these swirled lugs, wears fantastic.
    Read something about "lunar" dial patina here at OF, that is what it reminds me.
    Oh men, I felt in love with it::love::, really deep love...

mit neuem Uhrwerk.jpg

rolokr and GuiltyBoomerang like this.