Forums Latest Members
  1. wilson331 Apr 9, 2018

Hey watch peeps, so here is my latest UG no date polerouter with the 138 SS bumper movement. I'm really new to the vintage world, so i need some advice on the finishing for this watch.
    When i received it, i realized the polishing on the watch is a little weird. Around the dial it has an uneven brushed finish and the lugs were very polished.
    I want to know what i could do to the case to it to make it look as close as possible to a NOS polerouter. Like how was the case finished originally? If that makes sense. Everything else seems original, but if anything looks off please point it out. I hope the pictures help.

Thanks guys :)

IMG_0839.JPG IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0842.JPG IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0848.PNG
  2. jumpingsecond Apr 9, 2018

Forget the polish for a moment- you may need a legit original dial to get it closer to NOS.
    Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will certainly correct me if so but it seems like the text is a bit crude and the crosshair is too thick from what I'm used to seeing on these.

heccsat and wilson331 like this.
  3. Vitezi Apr 9, 2018

The dissertation on Polerouter dials is here:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/pol...-a-brief-survey-with-some-observations.35888/

As you surmise, your case has been heavily polished which unfortunately is an all-too-common fate for these lovely watches. There are many threads and pictures of original case finishes on this forum, so I might advise you pull up a comfy chair, get something good to drink, and search on Polerouter. Over twenty pages of forum posts await you. :)

10H10 and wilson331 like this.
  4. Mazoue Apr 9, 2018

I'm going to have to sit on the fence regarding the dial. I know exactly what you mean, however there are other examples, particularly with the "Square transparent U", that have very similar printing. I've not added images here as the watches don't belong to me and it seemed unfair to bring them into question.

wilson331 likes this.
  5. jumpingsecond Apr 9, 2018

Good to know for the OP & thx for clarifying :thumbsup:

wilson331 likes this.
  6. wilson331 Apr 9, 2018

Thanks for the advice guys appreciate it. I have been doing a fair bit of research before jumping on it, so i am pretty certain about the dial. But I'll definitely look into it and do more research.
    @jumpingsecond @Mazoue

7. wilson331 Apr 9, 2018

Yeah it is really unfortunate about the polishing. They do have a 14 day return policy, so hopefully i can see past the polishing and appreciate the watch. To be honest, it's working haha. @Vitezi

8. 10H10 Apr 10, 2018

Concerning the polishing, I've seen much worse, it can be improved and corrected by a workshop mastering the polishing techniques. The watch looks nice and wouldn't return it. :)

wilson331 and Larry S like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 10, 2018

Find a restoration watchmaker. They can put this right.

wilson331 likes this.