Forums Latest Members

UG Polerouter 138ss seconds hand not moving

1. avl Dec 24, 2014

Hello readers,

I am in need of some help!

I have a Universal Geneve Polerouter with a bumper movement (138ss) and the seconds hand has suddenly stopped moving. The watch still keeps time, its only the seconds hand that has seized. Any thoughts? Is this a broken part? I will take the watch in to have it looked at but i suspect that the service will be almost as much as I paid for the watch so I wanted to get some ideas first. Thanks and merry Christmas!!

Here is an article I wrote about it earlier with some pictures http://omegaforums.net/threads/watc...on-tudor-omega-ug-and-more.17670/#post-190983

2. avl Dec 24, 2014

Also, this is my first vintage watch and also my first service. What should I expect as far as cost?

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 24, 2014

It could be that the seconds hand is just loose, or it could be something far more serious. Cost for a full service should run about $200, plus parts. Could be more or less depending on location and skill of the repair person. You want someone who knows what they are doing with these.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 25, 2014

It is impossible to diagnose without seeing the movement with the oscillating weight removed. I believe this movement uses an indepentent centre seconds pinion (like a a lot of the Omegas) so the problem could well lie there. Either way, I would not be letting the movement run until it has been looked at to minimise the risk of further damage.

5. avl Dec 25, 2014

Thanks for your help gatorcpa and Stewart! Here is another update. The watch was wound last night and still keeping time with the seconds hand frozen. However, this morning, the seconds hand was moving again. I left the watch face up. I was surprised to see it working again this morning. I will have to let the mainspring uncoil and have someone look at at ASAP.