Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

Hello chaps,

Have had these two on my eBay watch list for a while... tried googling and found no real info other than on the movement, which looks to be legit.

Does anyone know anything about the UG Monodatic models?

Do either of these look any good?

Both around £600 asking.

I've searched, and I can't find anything useful...

$_57-39.JPG $_57-40.JPG $_57-41.JPG DSC_2668.jpg DSC_2669.jpg DSC_2673.jpg

littlesheep81 likes this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

Ok... so some more digging finds the movement referenced as being early 1950's and mentions the model name:

http://www.universal.ch/medias/mouvements/Universal_WEB.pdf

Both have HF cases... which seem to match some of the Polerouter models.

Both dials are the same... but I'm not sure that means that neither is a redial.

Stamping seems to be a lot sharper on the second one.

Serial numbers put the first one as 1956, and the second as 1953-55.

Lovely looking... but my spidey-sense is tingling.

3. Jonatan May 30, 2016

The monodatic is not a rare watch and doesn't seem to have picked the collectors curiosity yet. Which means that not a lot of information is circulating. The only thing I can say is that the second hand on watch two is wrong. Both have the correct dial and proper original crown.

As I'm writing I see that someone has posted so I'm guessing I'm not bringing anything new! I personally like the 138C bumpers but I'm not sure that 600 is a good price. Watch number two is in better shape regarding dial and polish but it has the wrong second hand.

littlesheep81 likes this.
  4. Jonatan May 30, 2016

5. Jonatan May 30, 2016

Here is the info regarding the 138C bumper from http://polerouter.de/frameset-movements.htm

The movement used in the early Polarouter and Polerouter models was the caliber 138 SS. It was introduced by Universal Genève in 1948, first as cal. 138 with a subsidiary second and then with a central second as cal. 138 SS and with date indication as cal. 138 moondate. The cal. 138 SS measures 28.2 mm in diameter and 5.55 mm in thickness. Its balance makes 18,000 vibrations per hour. As in all early self-winding wrist watches, the weight - located in the center of the movement - oscillates between two springs acting as shock absorbers, the so-called bumpers. This mechanism is only winding the mainspring during one motion. The bimetal 2-arm balance with compensating screws is protected by an Incabloc antishock system. It is fitted with a flat Nivarox hairspring. The balance cock has a long regulator pin. The cal. 138 SS has 17 jewels, a plain surface finish and is rhodium-plated. It is shock-proof and anti-magnetic. Despite the precision and reliability that was proven on duty for SAS, the movement was replaced by the famous "Microtor" movement after approximately one year of production.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

Thanks @Jonatan !

So the first one... If it was a lot cheaper... Maybe.

7. Jonatan May 30, 2016

I think you can wait and find a much cleaner example.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  8. Selbo May 30, 2016

These do pop up from time to time and I agree with Jonathon, they don't seem to generate a lot of interest. Not sure why considering the latest uptick in interest for all UG. Here's one I purchased from a forum member to give you an idea of a different dial. One neat feature is the roulette date wheel which is consistent for the Monodatics. But yes, given the lack of interest you could hold out for a cheaper option. First one looks nice if you could talk him down a little...

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Larry S and pwojnar like this.
  9. Dre May 30, 2016

So you're the one who got it, I missed out on that one. Dibs please!