Forums Latest Members

UG Golden Shadow 18k WG. Help, please.

1. Speedmasterfan88 Jan 24, 2017

Hi folks,

I'm not an UG expert and sadly can't find a homepage like speedmaster101 or the likes for UG.

So I'm asking here for help to gather some information about this Golden Shadow 18K White Gold automatic, integral 18k WG bracelet, inscription on the back was made upon purchase so I guess it's made around 1987-88.

My google research didn't came up with much. Only that it's caliber was at some point the thinnest automatic ( micro rotor) movement.

It's my fathers watch, and he's not wearing it. The bracelet doesn't fit my wrist size and I have other watches from him that he can pass down to me that hold more emotional value than this piece. Mainly because he rarely ever wore it. So we are seeking to sell.( Will put it up here in the FS section when I have a fair idea of what I have on my hands)

I won't ask the noobish "what's this watch worth" question.

I'm posting here to gather Information to make my own deduction of what it's worth.

I know I should take it to a watchmaker to open up the back for ref. and caliber number etc and I will do this when I find the time and update the thread.

I just thought maybe some of you know off of the top of your head if this was a rare piece at its time, where does it stand today with UG collectors etc.

Thanks and any help / info is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

IMG_5829.JPG IMG_5838.JPG IMG_5839.JPG IMG_5831.JPG IMG_5830.JPG IMG_5832.JPG IMG_5833.JPG

2. rolokr Jan 24, 2017

Start with its gold content, not that highly of a collected style watch and or era, watch is probably 1960-1970s. I like it ! LOL

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 24, 2017

Being gold, it certainly has some value, but there are several factors working against it. UG is a brand that is much more sought after in the sport and chronograph ranges. Yes, there are some collectors who like dress UG models, but their values are typically not high relative to many other brands.

More specifically, this is a style of watch that was also made by high-end manufacturers like Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin, and their models can be found in the market at any time. So most collectors of such types will gravitate towards the better, and more highly valued versions.

The fact that it was a thin micro-rotor will make little difference in the value. In fact, those seeking that feature are more likely to seek out Piaget models, which were of higher quality.

The inscription on the case back will also degrade the value.

Regards,

Tony C.

Jonatan, Jwit, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  4. Speedmasterfan88 Jan 25, 2017

Thanks for the insight and backing up what I thought about this one, as I couldn't nearly find as much info on these models as on Tri-Compax , Rindt's and the like. I think I'll check the weight for the scrap WG value and will deduct from there on.

Cheers,

Max

5. Vitezi Jan 25, 2017