Forums Latest Members
  1. 88cut May 2, 2015

Does anyone have or know of a UG steel Climate Proof Compax? I've seen them in gold and gold plated/filled but never in steel.

2. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com May 2, 2015

Never seen one in steel. I have one in rose gold and it is one of my favorites – larger than most Patek and VC chronographs of the day and I think more beautiful too.

M_franco, jordn and Modest_Proposal like this.
  3. 88cut May 3, 2015

4. ELV web May 3, 2015

I have seen a few climate proof in the past year on eBay, all seems to be everything but climate proof :p

nicolas07 likes this.
  5. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com May 3, 2015

@ELV web @88cut Yeah - the climate proof watches, in my belief, were built in gold with snap-back cases and secondary, inner caseback in hopes of creating something slightly more climate proof (;)) than the existing gold compaxes. In steel, UG had been making steel screw-back compaxes for quite some time which were also indeed climate proof, just not marked as such. I would believe that the screw-back compaxes (like seen in this upcoming Christie's sale) are more everything-proof than the gold climate proof watches, despite the fact they don't say much on the dial.

Incidentally, the 1940s screw-back steel Compaxes are in fact some of my favorite watches, period. The appreciation of these has really sky-rocketed in the past few years, and once you have one on your wrist, you'll see why. They are just KILLER. Here is one i've been wearing a lot recently: https://instagram.com/p/18cBJAKysS/?taken-by=hodinkee

tictictictoc and ELV web like this.
  6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 3, 2015

Beautiful watch as always, Ben. Always nice to hear from the Grandmaster himself. Wait, what's the proper way to address you? Godfather? Grand Wizard? lol jk :D

I think that the UG/Martel chrono calibers are still underrated in regards to appreciation for their movement quality, but it's unfortunate that these prices are fast becoming untenable and unattainable for connoisseurs of UG. The oversize Compax 'Universallone', on the other hand, I may be comfortable selling a kidney for. How much do those go for these days? Kidneys I mean :whistling:

7. nicolas07 May 3, 2015

Hi all,

For sure, screw-back steel UG are very sought after and especially one from the 40's (as ones from Patek and any other brand I would say!)
    From my point of view, there is a real trend in this way: waterproof chronos from the 40's as I guess it is more or less the beginning of waterproof chronos right?
    On top of that, if the watch is 38mm...:)
    One of my best UG would be the Hermes co-branded one with black dial...:)
    But the price is already quite high (!!).

Nicolas

8. M_franco May 3, 2015

9. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com May 3, 2015

@M_franco That one came from a prominent Italian collector. The dream is to find them from original owner, but that aside, the best place to track down a great Universal is Italy.

10. M_franco May 3, 2015

@BenClymer can't disagree abou t the original owner dream! I'll have to keep that in mind I've been on the hunt for a first universal preferably a chronograph. By the way did you see the two telemetry scale dialed UG's that Matthew Bain recently put up? Not in my price range but both incredible watches!!

11. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com May 4, 2015

@M_franco I did! They were beauties, and AKAIK, they are still available.

M_franco likes this.
  12. nicolas07 May 4, 2015

@M_franco I also did!
    Wonderfull!
    Did not ask him for price. For my information, what is the price range for the waterproof one (if it is allowed to give price in this thread..)?
    Thanks,

Nicolas

13. waXology May 4, 2015

Great to see you posting on here Ben.

Interesting about Italy being the place for UG's. Any idea why?

Think i might look into a little flea market road trip.

14. M_franco May 4, 2015

@nicolas07 it was 9k and some change don't remember the exact # though seems pretty fair it's as mint as it can get!!

15. nicolas07 May 6, 2015

@M_franco thanks!
    Yes, it seems completly mint...

M_franco likes this.
  16. nicolas07 May 6, 2015

By the way, any thoughts about the authenticity of this piece? Dial seems original but as I did not know this reference before, I am thinking about hands, chrono pushers...?
    These early UG chronos are very attractive to me!

17. fai2001 May 30, 2015

One other question, is threre anybody who wants to sell an Universal Geneve Climate Proof in Pink Gold? Please let me know....

Bests fai2001

18. fai2001 Jun 1, 2015

Great watch Ben! If you don't mind me asking where did you get it?[/QUOTE]

Hi franco,

is this your watch over your Name? (not the instagram)

bests
    fai2001

19. M_franco Jun 1, 2015

@fai2001 sadly it is not mine, this picture was from a lot at the Christies 175th anniversary auction for patek. One day I hope to own a steel 1463 as it is my favorite patek chrono!!

Have a good one!
    M_franco

20. fai2001 Jun 1, 2015

@ franco, thank you very much, for me, it is out of range, too.

By the way, I am looking for an Universal Geneve Climate Proof in Pink Gold.....I appreciate to hear from you, if you see one....

Bests fai2001

M_franco likes this.