Forums Latest Members
  1. viva_luckenbach Mar 21, 2014

I wanted to get an opinion on this.

I found this Aero Compax and still considering adding to my collection.

The issue is that the 2nd time zone (@ 12 o'clock) doesn't work. The second crown is not performing any function. The seller told me they did research and couldn't find a way to fix the problem but it didn't sound like they knew much about UGs.

Does anyone have an idea about how difficult/expensive this would that be to fix and how much of the value is lost. I've seen some Aero's going for over $20k on chrono24.

Thanks in advance!

VL

CAM00153.jpg

CAM00153.jpg
  2. woodwkr2 Mar 21, 2014

It's going to be really hard to give you any kind of reasonable estimate based on some pictures. You'd have to have the movement in front of you to inspect it under magnification and determine whether it's a simple problem with the stem or whether parts are needed that are unique to the aero-compax. Even then, you'll need access to the dial side of the movement, so unless you're skilled, you'll need to involve a watchmaker. They shared a base calibre with the usual chrono suspects, but were modified to accept the left-handed crown that sets the time-keeper subdial. If there are aero-compax specific parts that need to be replaced, I cannot imagine what they would cost or how long you'd be hunting for them. More likely, you'd have to purchase a complete parts movement/watch to finish the repair. If you're able to repair it properly, then there would be no value lost compared to what an identical condition, working example would bring.

These are cool pieces, and there are some quite rare variations that have indeed fetched the sort of eye popping valuations that you're referencing, but there's also quite a few that are priced in the stratosphere--mainly by Italian collectors--who, I think, simply don't want to have to sell them because they're enjoying them too much.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 21, 2014

a pair of comments, which may or may not be news to you. First, that's a redial. Note the way the "Universal Geneve" does not respect the boundary of the "memo" subdial, the shoddy minute track and tachymeter printing, the mis-sized graphics of the memo dial. Second, that's not a second time zone - it's merely a memo dial for a particular time that you set with the left hand crown. It does not connect with the rest of the movement, and does not keep time. It articulates with the left sided crown via a series of gears - not a complex mechanism, but unfortunately it is dial-side so difficult to assess without removing the movement.

Forgive if I'm telling you what you already knew

4. viva_luckenbach Mar 24, 2014

Great to know! I thought it looked off and glad i posted. You just saved me over $2,000.......

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  5. bsmitra Dec 1, 2016

Hi
    I have a similar fully working aerocompax in gold and its 'dual time' was 'not working' but only time setting was being done. My watchmaker says its not dual time but 'demo time' and he says this part of mechanism doesnt connect with the rest of the movement hence it cant be dual time.

Here are the dial side photos
    [​IMG]
    http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/heritageworld2009/media/IMG_20161201_14104391_zpswvdzfdtr.jpg.html

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/heritageworld2009/media/MOV_20161201_14131791_zps2tcohmcb.mp4.html

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/heritageworld2009/media/IMG_20161201_14105611_zpshpru7pwb.jpg.html

http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/heritageworld2009/media/IMG_20161201_14123301_zps12duvteu.jpg.html

SO is it Demo/Dummy time rather than dual time?

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 1, 2016

Please see my post above

Georgieboy58 and Diabolik like this.
  7. Diabolik Dec 1, 2016

memo time not dummy time ..

8. bsmitra Dec 1, 2016

What is basically its use, if it doesnt show dual time?!

9. Diabolik Dec 1, 2016

being a pilot, I can help you out there ...

Say you are flying a seneca from the UK to Italy and have right and left wing tanks. In order to keep aircraft in balance you would regularly have to swap tanks. That is where the memo time comes in. On the memo time, you set for example, the time you would like remember when to change tanks. When watch time reaches memo time, you swap tanks.

Memo time can be used for navigation (change course at memo time) and lots other things like remind yourself when you go off your shift. You can also use it for far more mundane tasks (remind yourself when to take kids to school, call wife, feed dog, boil an egg). Possibilities are endless ...

Hope it helps !

Maybe likes this.
  10. bsmitra Dec 1, 2016

Ohhh!! That was great help, though i still consider it inadequate to purpose. Then alarm watch could have served the purposes!

And to prove that I am not an aero engineer, it surprises me that tanks arent linked together in such a fashion that fuel is at same level in both the tanks all the time! I mean even if there is a tank swap every half an hour, there must have been some imbalance!

Just thinking aloud.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 1, 2016

I'd guess simplicity (not needing to pipe from one side of plane to the other) and/ or protection against a single failure point resulting in a disaster.

Note: I am not a pilot or aeronautical engineer, but I did sleep at a Red Roof Inn once, and I did take a couple aerospace engineering classes 30 years ago)

Larry S and Diabolik like this.
  12. bsmitra Dec 1, 2016

Yes I get your point.
    I meant a controlled tubing where the connectivity could be operated remotely along with a redundancy. In case of some failure or leakage, tube connecting the tanks could be remotely operated from cockpit and blocked. Or am I being too smart by half?

13. Diabolik Dec 1, 2016

bsmitra and Larry S like this.
  14. bsmitra Dec 1, 2016

Yes, expert has spoken now!
    Normally knob would be on both, i guess, so that tanks are balanced.
    Great, Diabolik, though you are anything but 'Diabolic'!!
    Thanks for aerocompax as well as 'aero-complex'!

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 1, 2016

There are Aero Compaxes going back to 1941. So the concept is old, goes back to a time when the options may not have been so numerous (when were the earliest Vulcain Cricket and the JLC Memovox created?).
    And if you look at old advertisements for it, they said pilots could use it to remember the time of their next take off, other people could use it to note the time of an important appointment....