Forums Latest Members
  1. trackpad Oct 13, 2017

You know, I love vintage watches. I love vintage Rolex watches. I also really love tropical/degraded dials, and the beauty and uniqueness that come with those...

Screenshot 2017-10-11 22.08.46.png
    https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces...2-gilt-tropical-dial-with-bakelite-bezel-9097

...but damn. I know the historical value of this particular model is pushing the price up. And it's an interesting piece! (love the 24 hour hand). But wow... pricey for a piece that for all intents and purposes just can't be worn. Into the safe, pinned and mounted like a butterfly.

I don't think I could sleep wondering what the bakelite was doing.

2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

There is "tropical" and there is damage. This is the later.
    the two terms shouldn't be confused.

propervinyl likes this.
  3. zrleopold Oct 13, 2017

All tropical is damage. Some is just more aesthetically pleasing.

Cad290, OMGRLX and Spacefruit like this.
  4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

not exactly, IMO a true tropical dial is a known batch of paint/finish that fades to a different color naturally. Its consistent among a specific reference/batch of dials. Not to be confused with water or moisture damage that can occur to any watch thru abuse. They are two completely different things...unfortunately most people confuse damage with this phenomenon.

5. zrleopold Oct 13, 2017

Ah ok. From what I understand, the reason that certain dials fade is due to exposure to sunlight or oxidation no? If that is the case, its just comparing different levels of disintegration due to various environmental exposure be it moisture/sunlight/air whatever.

6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

there are two reasons a dial fades. 1- a flaw in the paint/finish that causes fading or change of color. This is consistent with this batch of dials, and is typically a known reference. This is a tropical dial.
    2- damage. this is a damaged dial that sometimes looks tropical.

7. zrleopold Oct 13, 2017

I guess what I am confused about is in part 1 of the above...what exactly cause the paint/finish to fade or change color?

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

as I stated, its a flaw in the material used. There are know references from a specific period that are known to turn tropical. This is a true tropical dial. A one off dial that was abused is not a true tropical dial.

9. zrleopold Oct 13, 2017

Understood. Thanks for the insight

10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

rolex_image.3775933.jpg
  11. zrleopold Oct 13, 2017

Wow that is a seriously good looking piece!

12. micampe Oct 13, 2017

I disagree. It’s just that the silver part is less sensitive to whatever caused the subdials to degrade. If a movement has rusted steel parts and the brass parts are fine you don’t say that it wasn't damaged because the brass was not affected.

13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

There are clearly differing opinion on this...but I believe you are missing my point. That specific reference is known to fade...its not a one off. You can find multiple examples of this exact reference with the same type of fading.
    Just the same way specific Speedmasters dials are known to fade. This is where the term "tropical" originally came from. Its been misused for years.

Edited Oct 13, 2017
  14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

15. micampe Oct 13, 2017

Fading doesn’t happen by itself: the environment causes it. This reference apparently used some paint that is more sensitive to the environment than others, but the result is the same, it just happens at a different rate.

16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

Damage is damage. They are two completely different things.
    If you are happy to call a watch that was clearly abused tropical...more power to you. But the watch above that started this conversation is grossly abused, It almost looks like a painting.

But actually, If im not mistaken that is a dial that is known to go tropical..but in this case its simply fucked up.
    Maybe a tropical dial with excessive damage is a better description.

Rman and watchknut like this.
  17. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

Yes, I stand corrected...this is a know reference with a tropical dial. In OP's example, it has so much damage its really beyond what I would personally call "tropical". Here is a amazing example of what tropical means on the same reference:
    http://10pastten.com/watch/ta718

Notice how the watch isn't damaged..but the dial has faded evenly.

Speedmasterfan88 and trackpad like this.
  18. Cad290 Oct 13, 2017

And to be fair to HQ Milton I believe the asking price is lower on this piece than it would be on a similar example without s damaged dial

trackpad likes this.
  19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 13, 2017

yea...about a $100k less.

OMGRLX likes this.
  20. calalum Oct 13, 2017

Some thoughts re these matters. As stated above, the dial and other parts of the 6542 are seriously damaged and/or refinished, which is presumably why that piece is sitting unsold. And clearly there are desirable watches with "tropical" dials, which the market recognizes by attributing premium values. That is not to say that everyone wants or likes the tropical pieces, but just that the market generally recognizes their value, which means that enough collectors find them desirable. I have seen different explanations of what causes dial fade, and my guess is that there are multiple reasons, some discussed in the posts above.

And I am not sure what the OP means about the watch being unwearable. Is that a reference to the damage, or to a 6542 being pricey and wanting to protect it? If the latter, many would beg to differ.