Forums Latest Members
  1. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 7, 2016

Afternoon all

A recent purchase for me and one I am really pleased with, its not an Omega but it is and its a prototype.

So, I have some great friends around the world who know I love my Omega prototype watches, one of them recently contacted me to tell me he'd picked up a Tissot Prototype Hardmetal (jut up my street) so I snapped it up, needless to say I am delighted

IMG_0609.JPG

It is a Tissot watch (yes I know I am posting in the vintage Omega section) but the movement is cal 1250 Omega but without any markings other than the mainpulate stamping and a joint Tissot/ Omega stamped case back with the usual bulova licensing stuff, the movement is the Omega pink coloured 9162 with simply with the stamp the number 12 in the main plate and serial plate........very cool.

IMG_0612.JPG

There were a range of these hard metal prototypes made and I guess it makes sense that Tissot were also developing them at the same time as Omega using the Omega stock

IMG_0610.JPG

I first saw these hard metal prototypes on a trip to the museum where they have a few on display alongside the production Cermut and the Vader and Skywalker, I owned a cal 1342 version previously and know of another cal 1250 version in private ownership. I spoke at length with the museum team about them and they confirmed they were not a production watch but formed part of the R&D around the cermut etc, they had intended on them going in to production but they never made it.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The watches never went in to production I guess because of how brittle the cases are: very scratch resistant but not impact resistant (hence there are so many skywalkers and vaders with chips.

IMG_0613.JPG

Anyway, one I will be enjoying and felt was worth sharing with the community.

Edited Mar 7, 2016
    dragoman, rogart, ahartfie and 13 others like this.
  2. glownyc Mar 7, 2016

Very cool looking watch. Any chance for pics of the movement?

3. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 7, 2016

Of course, I will get some up over the next couple of days

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 7, 2016

You post so many very cool looking watches. It is always great to see what you share, and I do love the ones you post for sale.

lillatroll and ahartfie like this.
  5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 7, 2016

cool watch .... Im personally not a huge fan of that BIG 1970ies dial furniture ... but it has appeal (let alone its historic relevance)

ENJOY Thoroughly!!!!

6. wayneG Mar 7, 2016

Awesome Tom, I really like that. Suits the strap as well.

7. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 7, 2016

I love everything about this. Gorgeous, but then all your watches are.

8. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 8, 2016

Very nice :).

9. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 8, 2016

Thanks chaps

Yep very pleased with it, there are some awesome Tissot's out there but I do absolute adore this little beauty, certainly not something I'm likely to see on many peoples wrists ;)

10. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 8, 2016

Hi Tom.
    Very cool find! These so called Hard Metal cases. Are they made from tungsten-carbide?
    It seems that also Rado made several versions with the Mosaba movement (Omega f300).
    Cheers.

11. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 8, 2016

Indeed they are, they are vickers 1000 tungsten carbide coated metal cases, awesome and a great party trick (I had a mate to had a new bar, he dared me to wipe my wife Tungsten IWC Edison over the bar....... Edison.... not a mark...... the bar.......... quite a gouge!

Wonderful cases but flawed as they are extremely prone to chipping

dragoman and Northernman like this.
  12. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 8, 2016

Took a dive on my bicycle heading for work some time back. My Eterna DiaStar survived unmarked , but movement had to be fully rebuild after the impact. ESA9162. Same as Omega f300
    Not a prototype, but I have yet to see many more of these.
    image.jpeg

ConElPueblo and ahartfie like this.