Two Years Later — How Good Is The Current Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch?

Omega-Speedmaster-Ref-310.30.42.50.01.001-12.jpg
In early 2021, Omega introduced the current Speedmaster Professional model in stainless steel. Although I was able to resist my urge to buy one at first, I pulled the trigger in August 2021 and added a fresh, new Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch 310.30.42.50.01.001 — the standard version with a stainless steel bracelet and Hesalite (acrylic) crystal […]

Visit Two Years Later — How Good Is The Current Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch? to read the full article.

I was a bit underwhelmed when I first got it, but my Hesalite cal 3861 Speedy has been one of my two most worn watches this summer (the other is a Seiko MM300 on a Crafter Blue strap). I’ve made my peace with the bracelet, though I would still prefer a less extreme taper from the lugs to the clasp. Bracelet aesthetics aside, it’s very comfortable and the watch wears extremely well. The micro adjust, which I had thought was a bit of a gimmick, has proved useful in warmer weather. Overall I’ve grown to like the cal 3861 quite a bit.

As for the price, I’m not sure I’d ante up the current full retail, which I think is $7,000 US. Mine was two months old when I bought it, sold for quite a bit less than retail by a fellow who was also a bit underwhelmed and decided that he wanted something else. Given the sales volume and understated nature of the watch, I suspect these types of deals will always be out there for cheapskates like me willing to seek them out.

Most interesting bit in the article is this sentence.

"From what I know and have heard, this is the first Moonwatch iteration of which the sapphire version sells in higher numbers than the Hesalite model."

I suspected the 3861 SS was pretty popular but didn't realize it was that popular. The 1863 SS was such a slow mover compared to the 1861 Hesalite. Omega was smart to add additional features in the 3861 SS vs the 3861 Hesalite to convince people to get the more expensive version.

"From what I know and have heard, this is the first Moonwatch iteration of which the sapphire version sells in higher numbers than the Hesalite model."

I suspected the 3861 SS was pretty popular but didn't realize it was that popular. The 1863 SS was such a slow mover compared to the 1861 Hesalite. Omega was smart to add additional features in the 3861 SS vs the 3861 Hesalite to convince people to get the more expensive version.
Addressing the crystal milk ring thing was a big part too Imo

“…the sapphire version’s dial is a little bit darker and has clearer snailed finishing on the sub-dials. However, please note that this is not always the case! Omega had several different suppliers at some point to keep up with the demand, and you will also find dials in the sapphire version that is closer to the finishing of the Hesalite models.”

Is this 100% true?

Addressing the crystal milk ring thing was a big part too Imo

Agreed.
I don't appreciate the fact that Omega was also a bit tricky with deleting the applied Omega symbol from the dial with the Hesalite.

If they had the applied symbol on the Hesalite, I would be onto it in a flash.
The details matter.

The 1861 Hesalite was generally perceived to be outstanding value at the price it was going for👍
Maybe I will go for the 3861 Saphire sandwich if the movement ever gets the Spirax thing👎

I bought a 3861 hesalite last year just because I wanted a 3861 version in the collection. I don't get all excited about things like the exact shade of dial black, the snailing difference between a sapphire dial and a hesalite dial, the non-pyramid shape of the lettering, or even whether the dial has an applied or printed Omega symbol. And I don't need, or want, a sapphire back or sapphire crystal. It's a fine watch with longer run time and better accuracy. The bracelet is a huge improvement for me, just a more jewelry like appearance, and better fit and finish than the older style which was more substantial but pretty clunky. In fact, I've put the 3861 bracelet on a modded 1861 version which fits perfectly, and put the 45th Snoopy black Cordura strap on the 3861. I have the older clasp, but once the bracelet is properly adjusted I've never felt the need to have to adjust it during hot or cold weather, for those that like a couple of mm adjustment, have at it. Plus I like the slightly shorter clasp of the original version which looks better to me. Some prefer the new bracelet, others the older, just personal preference.

Ah, price, a lot of people bitch and moan about the new pricing, but the old days are gone, Omega has moved upstream and adjusted pricing accordingly. If you believe it is out of whack buy a used older version, or buy another brand. But a basic chronograph at the $7,000 level are pretty reasonable now, look at the competition. And shop around, you can pick up new ones well under the current retail price. There is a well respected European dealer who has a BNIB 3861 sapphire sandwich on the Sales Forum here for US$5,900 delivered to a US address which is well under the $8,000 MSRP.

The 1861 Hesalite was generally perceived to be outstanding value at the price it was going for👍
Maybe I will go for the 3861 Saphire sandwich if the movement ever gets the Spirax thing👎
I agree the 1861 was a great value compared to the 1863. It really wasn't worth spending the extra $1000 or whatever it costs to upgrade from 1861 to 1863. In the new 3861 versions, Omega actually made the upgrade worth it to a lot of people.

For me the most interesting aspect of the article was with regard to the water resistance thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
But my takeaway from the article is the previous 50m water resistance was on the basis of some kind of Type Approval, where not all watches were actually tested before leaving the factory.
The Metas compliance means that a water resistance test is applied to each and every watch at some point(possibly before the movement is fitted)????

Quite frankly, I'm a little confused about that aspect of it all👎

For me the most interesting aspect of the article was with regard to the water resistance thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
But my takeaway from the article is the previous 50m water resistance was on the basis of some kind of Type Approval, where not all watches were actually tested before leaving the factory.
The Metas compliance means that a water resistance test is applied to each and every watch at some point(possibly before the movement is fitted)????

Quite frankly, I'm a little confused about that aspect of it all👎

Metas test is after the movement is fitted

There is a lot to like about the new Speedmaster Pro and I appreciate the superior design and technology that it has over its predecessors. That being said, if you were in elementary school during the Apollo missions as I was, then you know that there is an unquantifiable quality that a vintage Speedmaster has that the 3861 will never have. When I look at my 1969 Speedmaster with its tritium lume and Straight Writing case back, I think about the fact that it was made shortly after Buzz Aldrin walked across the surface of the moon with his Speedmaster strapped to the outside of his spacesuit. No other watch in the world was the first watch worn on the moon and arguably no watch is more iconic. Owning and wearing a Speedmaster from that same era is what collecting is really all about.
Edited:

Metas test is after the movement is fitted

Thanks so much😀
Any thoughts on the water resistance aspect of things that RJ was talking about?

Thanks so much😀
Any thoughts on the water resistance aspect of things that RJ was talking about?

What he's saying is that the 3861 (and any other Metas certified watch) has been individually tested for water resistance, whereas the 1861 had a general water resistance, and not every watch per se was individually tested before being sold.

Let's see within a few decades, my July 1994 Omega Speedmaster (861 = 25 years Apollo 11) ran as a daily beater to June 2016, almost 22 years before it needed a service. 😗

Glad I got the 1861 before the $500 upgrade to a big box. 😗

I find that weird. I don’t see any of those new features as an “upgrade”. Hesalite looks and feels better on this watch and is more in line with the history. I don’t like the applied logo, darker dial, new step dial - and most certainly not the new bracelet.
I personally would’ve paid a premium for hesalite and 1861 over 3861. I was lucky enough to still get one when it was phased out (including the big box with more goodies).
That’s not to say that the 7K or so in this market isn’t warranted. It still is a better watch than a Daytona - and a bargain in comparison.

There is a lot to like about the new Speedmaster Pro and I appreciate the superior design and technology that it has over its predecessors. That being said, if you were in elementary school during the Apollo missions as I was, then you know that there is an unquantifiable quality that a vintage Speedmaster has that the 3861 will never have. When I look at my 1969 Speedmaster with its tritium lume and Straight Writing case back, I think about the fact that it was made shortly after Buzz Aldrin walked across the surface of the moon with his Speedmaster strapped to the outside of his spacesuit. No other watch in the world was the first watch worn on the moon and arguably no watch is more iconic. Owning and wearing a Speedmaster from that same era is what collecting is really all about.

Also, purely from an aesthetic standpoint, I think going from the five second between minutes interval to three seconds makes the minute track look less appealing: