Forums Latest Members

Two watch 007 LE for newbie collector

1. 2out2sea Feb 8, 2020

I may have a chance to buy the two watch limited edition 50th anniversary Bond watch kit. I have been collecting watches for a year or so and have a few Rolex, Oris', and now a Seamaster 1948 limited edition. I am curious if anyone thinks there is added collectibility to the two watch kit in the Omega stable. It seems Omega is a master at limited editions. I don't buy watches as investments, but I also want them to retain value and not drop like a stone. Can anyone help a relative newbie out here?

2. 8100_RPM Feb 8, 2020

If you're talking about the limited edition set of 257, only buy it if you really like it. For $42,100, I don't think there will be a large secondary market for this.

BondSet.JPG

Farmer and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 8, 2020

Neat piece for a collector but as they have not sold out yet I doubt the market will be huge for them down the road.

it’s more a bonus if you really want the gold one.

4. 2out2sea Feb 8, 2020

That is indeed the kit I am considering. Thank you for the feedback. I think I'll pass

5. pongster Feb 9, 2020

Both watches have same lug width and can share the bracelets/straps?

6. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

Would be a cool piece to add to the collection but that price tag is quite high.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 9, 2020

If you like them buy them but as an investment I don’t think it’s the best choice. Anyone that does want it will be able to get it IMO. And gold watches seldom retain their value.

8. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

As an investment I can think of many other choices if that's the main reason for the purchase.

9. 2out2sea Feb 9, 2020

I really like the watches and the presentation. Again I am trying not to view my watches as investments. I just don't want to "invest" in a watch or set that is going to lose a significant portion of it's value. I'd like to be wise in my purchases. I'm new to watch collecting and very new to Omega. Coming from relatively safe Rolex purchases, Omega seems less solid.

Thanks again for the advice from everyone. It's exactly what I needed to know. Fwiw the Omega set really does look great. Too bad the price makes it a bad choice.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2020

currently safe new Rolex purchases... At any moment Rolex could remove the production constraints and everything will drop. It’s not a long term proposition. In fact your already seeing signs the times right for Rolex to stop it’s constraints.

11. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

That's part of rolex charm.. That not anybody can just go to the neighborhood Jeweler and just pick up any model watch. I hope they don't lift the constraints.. I like the chase!

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2020

Anyone can buy one it’s not hard to get a new Rolex. It just depends on how much over MSRP you have to pay, and that is rapidly dropping.

I can literally get you any new model Rolex brand new tomorrow. You just have to pay the mark up.

Nobel Prize, 8100_RPM and KingCrouchy like this.
  13. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

You just have a good relationship with a local AD.. I just tried to get a new sub from any local rolex AD near Seattle and they all had an extravagant waitlist. Unless you're talking about newish off the secondary market.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2020

no I’m talking new unworn from a non AD who buys off the people on the waiting list.

15. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

Ahh. I guess you can almost get anything if you are willing to pay the markup haha. And I mean anything ;)

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2020

You understand why Rolex is constraining production and why the signs are pointing to Rolex stopping it soon esp in the submariners. When this happens you will see all subs sold in the past 4 years drop in price to below msrp.

Then Rolexes will share the same percentage depreciation again as every other brand. Traditionally for the bulk of mainstream Rolexes they have not held value any better then other brands, and in many cases nowhere near as well on the long term.

17. Evitzee Feb 9, 2020

People have been predicting for years that Rolex will unleash a torrent of production to bring supply and demand into some sort of equilibrium, and it never happens. And it won't here, either. I don't know what your signs are that this will change soon; tea leaves, Ouija board, a Magic 8 Ball or something else but until it actually happens it's just wishful thinking.

18. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

I agree with evitzee. I won't believe until I see it! Rolex image is prestige. It's not like their watches are that far and away better than their competitors imo.

19. 2out2sea Feb 9, 2020

I guess I'm just hoping to mitigate potential losses. Watches are turning into a fun hobby, but wow the costs of entry vs potential losses are hard to manage.

Again, I don't expect to make money on watches. I'm just not looking to lose any if possible. Hopefully Rolex will continue it's 10+ year trend.

At this point I'm curious if y'all think there's an advantage to buying a regular seamaster 300m vs a bond edition? Take the Uber expensive 2 watch kit off of the table.

20. ericjasman Feb 9, 2020

I do really dig that skyfall planet ocean if I had to pick one of the 007 edition.