Forums Latest Members

Two unrelated questions RE: 105.003 Speedy and Ranchero

1. gophishin Jan 28, 2015

I'm still fairly new to the forum, so I didn't want to unnecessarily clutter and add too many new threads for what may be simple answers, but do have two unrelated questions I was hoping you all would be kind enough to assist me with.

First, I'm a bit confused about rehauts on Pre-Pro Speedy's, specifically the 105.003. It seems as if one of the big changes for the 105.003's is the switch to the black rehaut, although recently I have seen a few 105.003's with what appears to be the silver rehaut. Is that correct for perhaps some of the earlier 003's, or are those generally assumed to be replacement or service dials with old or NOS parts? And if the silver rehaut is considered correct on some, can authenticity be indicated by the T SWISS MADE T, and how visible or covered the lettering is?

Second question is more opinion and general knowledge based. I've been keeping an eye out for something older with some character for a daily/general watch at a more affordable entry price (<$400 or $500). Being a sucker for sub seconds dials and the broad arrow hands with lots of character, I really like the old Ranchero. Now, I know the general consensus is strongly in favor of original dials, and I don't think I would go this route, but I was curious if at the right price, something like this might be "an okay buy" http://www.ebay.com/itm/251804165096?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network The seller openly states the dial has been touched up, and I can recognize that, but still have a rather naive eye on the quality of said touch ups. So, my question is really more in general terms using this listing as an example, but for an everyday wearer you aren't as concerned about, would you consider a touched up dial like that, and if so how much discount would it receive?

I realize an all original, untouched Ranchero is generally going to fetch more money, and I don't see them come up too often, so this is kind of an intriguing one to me... A chance to get something cool at a reasonable price and not worry too much about if something happens to it. So, as it relates to this example and as in general, do any of the less-strict die-hards make exceptions for stuff like this if the circumstances are 'right'?

2. cristos71 Jan 28, 2015

Difficult for me to say whether or not that started life as a Ranchero, as the 2990 ref was also used for Seamasters and as such is one of the most common references that get a `dial upgrade`, here to a Ranchero, to greatly enhance the value of the watch. Quite deceptive really, but unfortunately common practice amongst a certain kind of watch seller.

The one you showed will however probably fly due to the 1035 flat link bracelet that it is attached to ;)

3. tdn-dk Jan 28, 2015

Here is the an original to compare, the second hand is also wrong. At the end it is up to you to make up your mind if you can live with it.

[​IMG]

I also have two black dialed Ranchero's with redone dials and aftermarket hands and I like them, but at the end i will skip them when i find a all original black Ranchero

[​IMG]

4. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 28, 2015

In reality the 105003 never came with white rehaut, only here it was used :whistling: (together with n early 2998 dial of course ...
    [​IMG]

5. gophishin Jan 28, 2015

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little silly even referencing that Ranchero now since it's so sloppy in comparison. Like I said, I strongly prefer original, but figured if something was done halfway decent, and at the 'right' price, it might be worth considering, and wanted to see how others generally viewed that.

@BASE1000 now you have me even more confused, haha. Is it the case that there were supposed to be sold with black rehaut but a few leaked through using existing inventory, and the publicity shot above was perhaps a pre-production item?

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 28, 2015

Have a quick look at www.speedmaster101.com for pictures of early speedmasters and which rehaut goes on what.

Assuming you don't have "the book" which is much more detailed! (And if you are getting into speedmasters you should get it)

7. flame Speedmaster Neil Jan 28, 2015

Hi

Gratiutous Ranchero picture....enjoy !

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

Waynepjr, cristos71 and Davidt like this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 28, 2015

Dibby dibs! (I wish)

9. gophishin Jan 29, 2015

Thank you all for the information, and speedmaster101 is a constant reference fore me. It sounds like the consensus is that ALL 105.003's should have a black rehaut, which is what I was wondering, as I have seen a few recently with what appears to be a silver rehaut.

10. jrpippen Jan 30, 2015

I love these. Superb.