Forums Latest Members

Two Recent Longines Arrivals

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

I'll take these in reverse order.

First, this All Guard arrived at the end of this week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was one where the "Price is Right". A well used, but well loved watch. Looks like everything is original, including the grey gasket, which is not necessarily a good thing. There is evidence of moisture instrusion at one time, but the movement was not affected. I'm in the process of adjusting it now. I should be able to get it close to the old chronometer specs at +6 to -4.

This one came in a couple of weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Yes, I know there is no name on the dial. But there is one on the movement:

[​IMG]

An interesting feature of this watch is that it is pin set. That is, to set the hands you have to push in the pin at 4. I wrote away to Longines, and they have dated this cal. 13.56F movement's delivery date to 1904. The odd thing is that Longines records show the watch being delivered to Switzerland already cased as a pocketwatch. The case is an American made case made by the Crescent Watch Case Co. of Newark, NJ.

[​IMG]

This company was acquired by the Keystone Watch Case Co. of Philadelphia, also in 1904. Research shows that Keystone continued to use the Crescent brand for some time after that year, but I can't find any evidence of silver cases made by Cresent made after 1904. My guess is that the lugs are a later addition, probably done sometime between the end of WWI and the 1920's. The lug rings are likely replacements as they look to be steel or chrome plate.

I wasn't sure if the dial was a Longines made dial or a generic enamel replacement. Finding this example on the NAWCC forum convinced me that this dial is original to the watch and of the correct time period. It also has a Crescent brand watch case.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?110044-Inherited-my-first-pocket-watch-Identification-help

The mystery with my example is why is the dial blank and the Longines name used on the movement? Prior to the 1930's Longines imported a lot of private label watches to the US and Canada. Longines made the movements to the specifications of the particular jeweler, then engraved the name on both the movement and dial.

As always, the help of Dennis, Bill Sohne and Adam Harris were essential in making these purchases.

Thanks again,
    gatorcpa

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 23, 2014

A great post :thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2014

A couple nicely aged specimens. Put the All Guard on the March list please!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

So let it be written...so let it be done. :cool:
    gatorcpa

5. Hijak Feb 23, 2014

That All Guard is sweet!::love:: March list?::confused2::

6. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2014

During our Spring Training pilgrimage, we take a few days to visit friends down in that neck of the woods.

7. Hijak Feb 23, 2014

Ah, get it...I'd want to see that All Guard too, I bet it looks even better in person!::love::

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 23, 2014

Nice All-Guard! Not easy to find with a good black dial...

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

I kinda lucked into this one. The old adage about black dials being difficult to photograph well was in full force here. Bill thought the hands were rusted, they aren't. I thought there was a chance that the seconds hand wasn't correct, it is.

Seller's photo:
    [​IMG]
    I simply put in a "not gonna let anyone steal it, let's keep 'em honest" snipe, and surprisingly it won.

Thanks for the compliment. From you, it is high prase!
    gatorcpa

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 23, 2014

You're very welcome! Interestingly, I have found, on balance, that poor ebay seller photos have benefitted me greatly. For every one with which I have been disappointed, I've been delighted with four or five. And the discounts are often substantial.

Cheers,

Tony C.

11. CdnWatchDoc Feb 24, 2014

Great post and even great pick-ups Gator!! I continue to learn at least one thing every day that I log on to OF...definitely worth my time!::popcorn::

gatorcpa likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 24, 2014

That is the highest compliment that can be paid to our forum. It's what we strive for.

Thanks,
    gatorcpa