Forums Latest Members

Two quite uncommon vintage chronographs in a week! Both defective and sold on very poor photos.....

1. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 3, 2013

So, the last 7 days have landed two new additions.
    Quite strange as I have been collecting for some time but, up to now, have no pure 2 register chronographs.
    (Ok - I admitt at owning a Breitling TransOcean cal 12, but that has a date as well. :unsure:)

This post is a bit of a teaser since I actually have not seen any of the two yet....
    It also may make me look like an utter fool, or hopefully a bit less so at the end. ::facepalm1::
    To make purchases, like I have with these two, is not for the faint of heart, and may not be the wisest thing I have done. Only time will tell!

The first "bird" to land was an Excelsior Park caliber EP4 issued by the Danish Navy. No signs (except the Excelsior Park logo) on the dial, but there should be navy inscription to the back of the case.
    (Anyone not familiar with Excelsior Park should continue to be so, in order for the rest of us to still be able to pick up these excellent watches at good prices!)
    Bought on the basis of a very poor mobile phone shot. Running until this October when it stopped, and the retired navy officer who owned it decided the time had come to pass it on.
    Came in at a good price, and I do know where to find spares if needed. My suspicion is that the mainspring is broken, but only time and a visit to a watchmaker will tell.

FOT68D2.jpg

The second purchase was an Omega cal 860 DeVille ref 145.017 from a UK eBay seller.
    Sold "for spares or repair". Running (but way off on time), and defectiv chronograph.
    The cal 860 was only made in 10.000 units total according to "Omega Saga". Compared to the 861 with 300.000+ made this makes it a rather seldom bird, at least by Omega standards. The rest looks quite ok, so I will give it a go!
    $_121.JPG

This one is already on its way to Christian at watchguy.co.uk. We will see how bad it is in his blog in some days.
    Came in at a typical too high auction price, but will still be good value if parts prices to get it back running does not add up too badly.
    Good thing I have a spare Lemania 1873(861) movement in waiting.

The EP4 will be picked up this weekend.

So.... Have I finally lost it?? Tune in to see the next episode!
    :D

2. ulackfocus Dec 3, 2013

Isn't the DeVille supposed to have short markers at 3 and 9? Otherwise there'd be ink hash marks, right?

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 3, 2013

Excellent, excellent pickup on the Søværnet EP. Real chronograph esoterica. I simmer with envy.

4. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 4, 2013

Hi!
    The 145.017 came with several dial variations. I did some searching and found several (as in 5-10 other) watches with this dial variant, and all with the same layout.
    From OVD: "Dial: Metal, with luminous metal hands and inside scale (choice of 4 types : tachometric, decimal, telemetric, telemiles, or pulsimetric)."
    In addition it obviously was the one on my watch which I would describe as the plain or classic type.

Some examples from the web:

ST145.017.jpg 145017senza.jpg
    382.jpg

And one with tachymeter scale:
    145017con.jpg

5. ulackfocus Dec 4, 2013

That's good enough proof for me! Didin't know they came with so many dial variations.

6. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 4, 2013

I find the number of dial variations intriguing as well! Especially when you look at a total production of only 10.000 movements.

7. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 10, 2013

So a week has passed, and both watches has been inspected.

Update DeVille:

The Omega DeVille is in dire need of a movement service.... There has been some moisture inside, and there is some corrosion on the movement as well. According to my watchmaker it is hopefully not beyond repair, and it will get some attention in the first weeks of 2014.

Opinion Poll on Excelsior Park EP4-68:
    The EP chronograph may be said to be the opposite needs of the DeVille. OK, it will definitely also need a service since the main spring is no more, however the movement itself looks very nice indeed. The ExPark caliber 4-68 is one of the finer chronograph movements ever. It has been used by both Zenith (as the 143-6), Gallet and Girrard Perregaux to name a few. They have also been widely in use by armed forces around the globe.

My main concern here is if I should try to source a "better dial" or if I should keep the one on the watch? A redial is out of the question, but I might be able to source a correct dial in better shape with some luck.....
    Pictures enclosed, and opinions welcome! Shall I leave it like it is, or aim for something a bit cleaner??
    IMG_2009.jpg IMG_2013.jpg IMG_2058.jpg IMG_2057.jpg IMG_2056.jpg IMG_2055.jpg

Vinne77 likes this.
  8. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Dec 10, 2013

I like it how it is - in fact I like them both.

Northernman likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2013

"According to my watchmaker it is hopefully not beyond repair"

Trust me, they have to be pretty far gone before they are "beyond repair"...this is the watch before and during my service of it, after being flooded with salt water:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Movement cleaned up, oiled, and running great:

[​IMG]

Looked really good when it was done:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

felsby, NiklasARvid, Tritium and 10 others like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2013

Just needed a bit of WD40 :)

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, just a bit though! ;)

12. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 10, 2013

On eBAY this would qualify as mint condition :)

Northernman and Daniel B like this.
  13. cristos71 Dec 10, 2013

Looking at the before and after of the watch and movement I would not have believed it possible-great work:)

How much longer did it take to clean and service the movement compared to a normal job?

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 10, 2013

Well, I don't find a worn dial on a used military watch such a great eyesore. I'd leave it alone.

15. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 10, 2013

you are a wizard!!

16. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 10, 2013

Nice clear shiny crystal will do wonders!
    Keep it virgin

17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 10, 2013

34812-5ea40f7020a4fa7dc82f3d5bce4a431d.jpg

I think I may have dropped some Jr. Mints in there!

Northernman likes this.
  18. Mothra Dec 11, 2013

Agreed - new crystal, keep the dial...

19. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 11, 2013

A new crystal is a must. the old one is cracked and damaged...
    As for the dial I have yet to make up my mind, but if it is replaced it will be with a total correct one.
    :)

20. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 11, 2013

keep the dial. dismantle the dial and dip in silver cleaning solution ( grab a dialfoot with plastic tweezers ) ; 2 seconds at a time. have a cold water cup next to it and dip straight after the solution into water. take out and wait a few seconds until water gone. inspect and if dots still there, repeat. do not repeat more than 3 times for 2-3 seconds each. longer exposure might damage the letters and the protective layer. it will keep the lume colour intact. do never rub anything. when finished, dry it under a dust protective cover for a few hours. if lints are on the dial, remove with a very fine brush. hopefully that will preserve your dial and remove the spots. in general terms: keep it the way it is. good luck ! kind regards. achim

Vinne77 and epl108 like this.