Forums Latest Members
  1. Daffinito Jul 1, 2016

I have two questions: Since the Omega brand is of such high quality, should not the word "forums" used in the plural, and really be entitled "fora"? as per the WordBook dictionary?
    Second: I was given a Speedmaster Professional as a gift when I was a young man which I estimate was purchased in or around 1968. I took it to a watch salesman today who opened the back, at my request, and confirmed under the microscope that the movement had a few numbers engraved into it. The numbers were 284 and 861. I conclude that he movement was the changed 861 movement from the 321 in or around that time period. I don't know what the number 284 means. Can you please confirm to me when the 321 movement was changed to the 861? Am I better off with the 861 movement for whatever reasons? The back of my watch does not have the NASA stamp of the "first watch on the moon" obviously because the watch was purchased in or around 1968, before the first moon landing.
    The most important question I have is the following: The watch's original hands seemingly had radioactive paint on them that crumbled and fell off leaving particles of "crumbs" in the watch case during the early 1970's. I was a student at Florida Tech (FIT) and wanted to be an astronaut at the time, silly me for thinking I had the brains. However, living down near Coco Beach, the original hands began to crumble. Sometime later, maybe in the 1990's when I had the money, and after leaving the watch in my safe for many years, I had it overhauled by Omega for about $300. U.S. Omega changed all the hands to make it modern for the time. They still seem modern. They also replaced the plastic face, which would get gouges in it if I just brushed the watch against something. Omega also gave me a new steel watch band (without he push button clips). All of this was for about $300.U.S. The original cost of the watch was about $275. U.S. in 1968 with a 20 per cent discount because my girlfriend worked at Macy's (Bambergers). I've heard that Omega used its discretion in upgrading the watch when they came in for repair, thus fixing something that they thought was better, but now is different from the original. Should I assume that my watch is not as valuable as it could have been if Omega replaced the parts with original hands and dials et cet? Thank you. [email protected]

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 1, 2016

If they had of left the original hands on "yes" it would be worth more. Not by that much as Original could be found if you have the time and money

Did they give the old parts back as they usually did.

Pictures will help us see what your talking about...

Edited Jul 1, 2016
    Foo2rama likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2016

While Fora may be technically correct, forums is in common usage and is what we use here.
    We're simple folk here and settle for what works.

Jonatan and ahartfie like this.
  4. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jul 1, 2016

Either form is correct, according to Merriam-Webster. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 1, 2016

[​IMG]

flw, Buckeyes#1 and ahartfie like this.
  6. Daffinito Jul 1, 2016

Thank you for responding so quickly. My guess is that you are not on the East Coast of the U.S as it is now 11:00pm EDT. Yes, Omega did return some parts to me. I have in a small plastic bag the following: The original Crown,the original push buttons for the timer, two pieces of something that looks like they should go inside the pusher buttons to activate the pushers, the former plastic crystal, two rubber seals, and a part of the steel watch band with is about two links to size the watch. But the former original old sweap second had and the smaller hands were never returned. I feel as if those older hands had a certain "identity" for the watch that dated it to the late 1960's. My watch now looks so good after I had it cleaned that it looks like I just bought it, except for the 1990's style steel wrist band that only someone who would know the difference would discern. Thank you for your almost instant reply. That is amazing. I didn't expect to get a reply for weeks, or months. If you are American, Happy 4th of July. If not, you are invited to the U.S. as my guest anytime. It would be my honor. [email protected]. Attached are photos of what was in the plastic bag.

7. Daffinito Jul 1, 2016

8. Daffinito Jul 1, 2016

9. cwindham Jul 1, 2016

Am I missing something or are there NO pictures attached?? A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Does it have a steel omega logo on the dial or is it a white logo painted on the dial? Smooth back is around the transitional time between 68-69.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 2, 2016

Darwin Australia, happy to help out.

To post pictures just hit the add photos next to reply and upload.

It was and is quiet common for Omega to change parts for new. If you are to service again look to a watchmaker with a Omega parts account as they will be more sympathetic to servicing without changing the parts that matter.

Crown,pushers crystal and hands are commonly replaced by Omega, the dial was also so pictures will help.

11. flyingout Jul 2, 2016

Right around 1968 with reference 145.022-68, which I am presuming yours is. Pictures please. You are better off with the 861 in that it's easier to service and find parts for. Less well off in that it is not as coveted or valuable. In any case, enjoy and take care of it. It is most likely due for service again if you plan to wear it regularly.