Forums Latest Members
  1. peter_reinhard Jul 11, 2016

Ok. New guy here again.
    After reading your forum a bit I realize that since the original band is long gone, this watch might not be a good topic for this vintage collector's forum. And I don't plan on being a collector. Also me wanting a metal band - is that something that is never done? Please don't laugh. I see now that even the buckle should be Swiss-made.

Also, the watch looks like it has some miles on it too (I was reading about "Condition, condition, condition"). I see a little dirt under the "Automatic" lettering. But it has sentimental value. My dad was a scientist and finished as a college professor and he wore it daily. He certainly didn't beat it but it looks quite warn. So if he bought it in 1965, he wore it for 20 years. Then my mom wore it but much less often.

Here are a few cell-phone photos as and FYI. Thanks again for this interesting forum. (There seems to be a forum for topic on earth. I'm big on the Corvette Forums and Toyota Tundra forums.)
    20160711_125549.jpg 20160711_125602.jpg

GregH and Giff2577 like this.
  2. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jul 11, 2016

Welcome to the forums! I like the 45 degree cross hatched textured dial. If you want to put it on a metal bracelet then do a search for a Beads of Rice BOR bracelet. This model looks good on a 9 row BOR.
    I used to have a similar one but I sold it since someone painted the dial black. image.png
    Enjoy wearing your father's watch and thanks for the story!

3. Ravineman Jul 11, 2016

yup, great story. Enjoy wearing your dad's watch.
    I have 3 Omegas from my dad, two that I wear almost daily.

You might consider putting on a new crystal and a gentle clean up and service to the watch.
    It's an OK thing to do if you like the watch and want to wear it for many years.

4. peter_reinhard Jul 12, 2016

Thanks for the replies and recommendation for a new band. And maybe I'll ask our watchmaker friend to clean it up someday.
    Regards to all
    Pete

5. novina Jul 12, 2016

All it really needs to look very good is a crystal or maybe just polish it. Looks like a lot of the wear is there and not the dial. At least to my eye. Also it would need a full service before wearing often. Full movement disassembly, clean, oil and a very light cleaning of the case. It would also look great on a nice leather strap. Much cheaper than looking for a BOR bracelet. But than, its yours. And as you will be wearing it. It is up to you of course. Good luck.